Chapter 9

“She’s not my friend, but I’m her friend.” Dawn grinned slowly. “Apparently doing all the lab work got me on her ‘friend list’.”

“She’s got a friend list?”

“Mmhmm. How weird is that, right?” Dawn laughed.

The bedroom door flew open. “Mae?” Dicky gasped. “How did you get up here?”

“Fire escape.” Mae shrugged.

“So you are here to help Dawn plan her party!” Ricky frowned.

“Traitor.” Nicky added.

“She was never on your side, how is she a traitor?” Dawn demanded.

“Oh.” Nicky said. “Liar.”

“Okay, I lied! If I told the truth you wouldn’t have let me upstairs.” Mae said. “Do you want to plan this elsewhere, Dawn?” Dawn glared at her brothers and stood up.

“I’d love to, Mae.” She said coldly, and the two pushed past the boys and slid down the banister to the store.

Half an hour later, Dawn and Mae stood in the center of Mae’s basement each holding a bulging plastic bag of party decorations.

“I still think we should invite everyone before decorating.” Mae said.

“True. They’re all free for the Stanky’s party anyway, they’ll be free for this one.” Dawn said.

“So, who’s on your guest list again?” Mae asked, putting down her bag and pulling out her phone. Dawn took a rolled up piece of notebook paper from her pocket.

“Jasmine, the gymnastics girls, the cheer girls, Jenna, Charlotte, Maya, those girls from math club…”

“You’re inviting the math girls?” Mae asked. “Do you even know their names?”

“Of course I do! Um… Miranda, Kira and Julia, right?”

“Laney, Yanna and Rielle, Dawn.” Mae sighed. “Still want to invite them?”

Yeah.” Dawn said, “Just… send out the invites already so we can get that over with.”

“Whatever you want, Dawn.” Mae shrugged and started sending out texts.

“So I’m guessing we don’t have time to order a banner so why don’t we just write letters on paper.” Dawn pulled the cap off a permanent marker and drew a big ‘H’ on a piece on printer paper.

“You’re going to use up the entire stack, Dawn.” Mae glanced over.

“Well, after I use them the papers become scratch paper, and then we an recycle it. Technically, I’m being environmentally friendly.” Dawn took another sheet of paper and drew an ‘A’ on it.

“Sure.” Mae shut her phone off. “Jasmine’s coming, so are the math girls and gymnastics girls, but the cheer girls are still going to your brothers’ party.”

“What? Why?”