Chapter 8

“Hey, I know twins that have separate birthday parties.” Dicky said. “They were born together, but they didn’t have their parties together.”

“So everything was separate?” Ricky folded his arms. “Absolutely everything?”

“Well… no, the room was separated into two halves so they could have one for each of them, but they blew the candles out together. They did have separate presents, though.”

“Separate presents is a given, Dicky.” Ricky said. “We’re quadruplets, we can’t just split a room down the middle.”

“We’ve always had our parties together.” Nicky continued, “Why did she have to abandon us right at double digits?”

“Maybe it’s what I said,” Josie swept into the conversation, carrying two boxes full of tennis balls and shuttlecocks, “Dawn’s probably grown out of it.”

“She’s grown out of us?” Nicky gasped.

“That’s not possible, we’re her brothers, she’s been living with us since she was born.” Ricky said.

“Mmm, there was a time when Dawn lived in a Nicky-Ricky-Dicky-free world, you know,” Josie told them.

“What? When?” The boys asked curiously. Josie leaned forwards and gestured for them to lean in closer, as if she were about to tell them the biggest secret in the history of the universe.

“The four seconds she had before you lot were born.” Josie whispered, then laughed and went away before the boys could start on her for reminding them again that Dawn was the eldest.

Up in the room, Dawn and Mae were puzzling over an important fact; the guest list.

“Why don’t you just give me your original guest list and we’ll use that?” Mae asked.

“That won’t work, they’re all Nicky, Ricky and Dicky’s friends, too.” Dawn said thoughtfully.

“Well, Dawn,” Mae flipped the notebook closed, “I don’t think you can afford to have a separate party. You and your brothers share too many friends.”

No!” Dawn cried. “I have to have my own party. We’ve shared way too many things in the ten years we’ve been alive. Practically the only thing we don’t share are the four seconds I had before they came in a ruined my life.”

“Whoa, whoa, Dawn.” Mae moved back a bit, distancing herself from Dawn. “Where’s all this coming from?”

“I don’t know!” Dawn wailed.

“Calm, Dawn, calm…” Mae slowly stood up and patted her friend’s head. Dawn grabbed Mae’s hand and moved it from her head to her shoulder.

“Watch the hair, Mae,” Dawn sniffled. “I guess I’ll just invite Jasmine, even if we aren’t friends…”

“But how will you be sure she’ll come if you’re not friends?” Mae asked.