Chapter 2

“I’ll be back later, okay, kids?” Anne pulled a drawer open and took out another blue-and-orange sports vest. This one read ‘DAWN’ across the shoulders. “And change into your uniform, Dawn.”

Dawn took the vest and held it gingerly an arms length away from her body. Her mother picked her handbag up off the counter and exited the shop. The boys turned back to the shelves and started organizing again.

“You better put that on, Dawn.” Josie said, punching a few numbers into the cash register. “It’s store policy.”

“But it’s my birthday. Can’t my birthday present be to not wear this thing?”

“It’s our birthday too, Dawn.” Dicky turned around, frowning. “Or did you forget, we’re quadruplets.”

“I know.” Dawn sighed. She slipped the vest on over her shirt. Her bright yellow sleeves showed, but she didn’t really care. She went over to where her brothers were shelving and pushed a soccer ball aside.

“What are you doing?” Ricky shrieked, rushing over and pushing the soccer ball back. “These are perfectly organized. Stop messing things up, Dawn.”

“Well, jeez, I didn’t know.” Dawn shrugged.

“Why don’t you just go behind the counter with Josie?” Ricky said, irritated. He adjusted the soccer ball, and then turned it back to its original position.

“Fine, then.” Dawn dragged her feet over to the counter and slid in beside Josie.

“Why are you in such a bad mood?” Josie asked, bagging a tennis racket and handing it to the athletic-looking woman on the other side.

“It’s my birthday.” Dawn sighed.

“Yes, I know it’s your birthday. Happy birthday.” Josie said. “But it’s also their birthday, too, you know?” She gestured towards the boys. Ricky was now fuming because Nicky had knocked all the soccer balls off the shelf.

“I do.” Dawn said. “It’s just… Stanky’s?”

“What, you don’t like Stanky’s? You used to love that place.” Josie frowned.

“I know, Josie, but I’m turning ten today. You know what that means?”

“…double digits?”

Exactly. And I can’t exactly turn double digits in a place that’s so…”

“Awesome?” Dicky butted in.

“I was going to say sweaty and gross.” Dawn said.

“Aw, baby girl’s growing up!” Josie grinned and rubbed Dawn’s head. Dawn pushed her babysitter’s hand off her head and patted her hair down.

“Oh, god, I am growing up.” Dawn realized. “How do I stop it Josie?” She clasped onto Josie’s arm and pulled. “Make it stop!”

“Whoa, whoa, calm down, Dawn.” Dicky yanked his sister off Josie’s arm.

“If I’m going to grow up, I should at least get my own birthday party.” Dawn said. Every stopped and looked at Dawn. “What?”

“You want your own birthday party?” Nicky gasped.

“That’s not nice, Dawn.” Ricky frowned.