Chapter Fifteen

Good job to AutumnRainbow5 and upside-down-puppy for guessing the correct POV!

Travis's POV

I knew where we were immediately. I nudged Connor and he looked over at me, for once completely serious. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked at the ground. I felt Katie's hand on my back and she looked into my eyes, searching for something.

"This you two?" Percy asked, examining the house before us and then glancing our way. "Yep," I answered.

"After you," Clarisse motioned for the door. I rolled my eyes and opened the door. The smell hit me first. It was musty with a hint of lavender. Mom used to be  obsessed with lavender candles because she said it masked the 'boy smell'.

I took a second to breathe it all in. Connor nudged me and motioned past the entryway. I was holding up the line of demigods trying to get in.

I heard lots of chatter in the living room and went to look. Wrestling around and flying a toy airplane, was Connor and I. I let out a tiny gasp upon seeing us. It reminded me how similar Connor and I actually look despite us being born a year apart. We could've been twins.

I watched as I shoved Connor over, straddling him to fly the airplane around, making exaggerated noises. Connor roared and threw me off, giggling as he tackled me. I was about seven, Connor six.

I started to screech when Connor tickled me with vigor. "Boys!" Mom called from the kitchen. "Please be quiet!" Connor and I looked at each other before breaking out in giggles.

"You guys are so cute," Katie said. "You think so?" I asked, leaning down to kiss her. Percy cleared his throat. "PDA. You're distracting from the show."

"You're one to talk," Connor muttered. "What was that Stoll?" Percy asked with a smirk. "Guys, not now," Calypso cut in, successfully shutting us up for the moment. We focused on the scene before us. Nothing seemed to change from the two wrestling boys in the living room, so we ventured into the kitchen.

Mom was sitting at the table, her head wresting on one of her hands as she looked over some papers in front of her. She looked stressed. I was startled. I don't remember seeing her that distressed. "Boys!" She yelled again, looking one annoyance from a breakdown. 

I crept forward and studied the papers on the table. Bill after bill was piled up there on the table. Mom picked up the first one and opened it. I scanned it quickly. It said something about the electricity bill being over due. Same for the rent and the water bill. And then there was a hospital bill from the time I broke my arm. It had to have been a year before the scenes we were seeing, yet it still hadn't been paid. 

Something heavy settled in my chest as I watched my mother tear up at the endless stack of envelopes in front of her. The doorbell rang and Mom popped up to open the door. "Melinda!" She exclaimed, "thank gods, I have to head to work. You know the drill. Bed time's 9:30, no snacks after 8. And feel free to take away TV privileges if they keep fighting."

Melinda nodded. She looked to be about fifteen at that time. She was our old babysitter. Seeing all the bills on the table, I wondered how on Earth Mom managed to keep the two of us fed and pay a babysitter to watch us while she worked her three jobs.

Connor looked about as shocked as I did. He opened the pantry to find the essentials and a few odd snacks. 

Looking back on it, I guess Connor and I were pretty terrible sons. We never realized the financial troubles we were having. I do remember Connor and I making Mom's life miserable in Thrift Stores when she took us shopping with her for more clothes. I guess she brought us along because she couldn't afford anymore babysitters any more than she needed them. 

Looking back on it, everything about the house brought back memories of how my brother and I were assholes, how we caused all sorts of trouble and how Mom struggled to keep us in our house opposed to living on the streets. 

One plus was that Connor and I never needed any new toys to keep us entertained. We would either make some random contraption, or get into all sorts of trouble around town in our free time. Connor and I have been year round campers for as long as I can remember, but we do go home for Christmas. I guess with us off at camp, Mom could better support herself. 

"We are horrible people," Connor muttered, coming to the same conclusion I had. "You are not horrible people," Jason assured. "We all have sucky pasts. And there's not much we can do except play the cards we were dealt with. Besides, the past is in the past. I'm sure your mother doesn't love you any less."

I hesitated and Katie grabbed my hand. "He's right. I have a feeling we're done here. I wonder who will be next?"

Who's next?