Chapter Twenty-One

Piper's POV

When the darkness cleared, we were standing in the hall of a school.

Percy, Thalia, and Annabeth stood there and were approached by a man and a woman. They exchanged a few words before Grover came running down the hall.

As they were walking into the gymnasium, Grover said, "Thank the gods you got here!"

"So what's the emergency?" Percy asked.

There was a pause, then, "I found two," Grover said.

"Two half-bloods? Here?" Thalia asked.

Grover nodded. "A brother and a sister. They're ten and twelve. I don't know their parentage, but they're strong. We're running out of time, though. I need help."

I almost missed the look Percy shot at Nico. On closer observation, Nico looked paler than usual. He was twitchy and nervous.

We entered the dance and Percy pointed out two kids sitting in the bleachers. I barely recognized Nico, and I figured the girl had to be Bianca.

The scene skipped forward to outside the school. The man from earlier had Percy, Bianca, and Nico and was leading them off to a clearing in the snow, near a cliff. Annabeth, Grover, and Thalia were nowhere to be seen.

The man pushed them toward the edge and Percy stumbled, blood seeping from a wound on his shoulder. Bianca caught him and steadied him.

"Thanks," Percy murmured.

"What is he?" Bianca whispered. "How do we fight him?"

"I...I'm working on it," Percy said.

"I'm scared," little Nico said.

After a quick time lapse, the man said, "You will have the opportunity to join a great army! Just like that silly game you play with cards and dolls."

Nico's face went red and he puffed out his chest. "They're not dolls! They're figurines! And you can take your great army and—"

"Oh-hohoh!" Leo whistled. "Did ten year old Nico just tell a monster to shove his army up his ass?"

Nico blushed.

"Now, now, the man warned. "You will change your mind about joining us, my boy. And if you do not, well...there are other uses for half-bloods. We have many monstrous mouths to feed. The Great Stirring is underway."

WhOosh(I'll just to this for the time lapse from now on).

"Okay," Bianca whispered to Percy. "He's completely nuts."

"We have to jump off the cliff," Percy said. "Into the sea."

Bianca stared at him. "Oh, super idea. You're completely nuts, too."

And then they all toppled.

"Um, what just happened?" Leo asked.

"Annabeth just happened," Percy announced proudly.

Thalia and Grover burst through the trees then, Thalia wielding her shield. They fought and Annabeth pulled off her invisibility cap and yelled, A manticore!"

"Who are you people?" Bianca demanded. "And what is that?"

"A manticore?" Little Nico gasped. He really is adorable. "He's got three thousand attack power and plus five to saving throws!"

"Did anyone get that?" Leo teased.

After some more fighting, Percy had to cover Thalia with his shield.