6• Reencounter

A cold sensation pierced my soul from the clear killing intent Chiyo is sending with her eyes. Never thought an expression overused in fiction could be so... overwhelming.

"Reincarnation Jutsu? Something like that exists?" Sakura eyed the old woman while moving little to nothing, a drop of sweat almost falling to the ground from her chin.

The woman herself being the centre of attention didn't respond the medic-nin. Her expression was stone cold and somehow I feel that her eyes would've killed me already if they could. Maybe I'm not trembling or averting my own eyes from her because she is looking not at me, but behind. It makes Chiyo look more like the elder of her age than a prepared assassin ready to take action that she is.

"It's a Kinjutsu, right?" Hatake's question made Sakura's eyes almost get out of her face. While Naruto turned to his sensei, the Suna elder and Kakashi looked at where they supposed I was.

"I created it to a purpose and this was not it. Besides, I'm not gonna show it to someone who doesn't even face me." Chiyo's hands moved slightly and I have a strong intuition she is going to try something on me. "And if you were spying Sunagakure, I ask myself why you didn't help Gaara before if you're so eager now?"

Should I start now the whole talking 'Nah, I'm not a spy nor a ninja. Just a ghost lost between here and sanity' or something alike. She would probably ask how I know her Jutsu, then I would explain how to me she and the rest of this world aren't anything but a fictional story from a brilliant man's mind. Ugh, this would make them think too much and create more problems. So let's just clarify I'm not the enemy.

"I know of your suspicion on me, believe me, you have the right to. But I give my word that I am not your enemy and my only intention here is to save the Kazekage." I let that sink in for some seconds before continuing. "And I believe I'm not wrong to say that the purpose you speak of was lost a long time ago."

"How yo-!"

"Just give yourself some time to think, after all, aren't all of you getting out of here? I mean, your backup team is still fighting, no?" A low growl came from Naruto to my surprised. I sure was not intending to get this type of reaction, but looking outside of my position they can assume that I threatened their allies. This day, could it be said that I already screwed everything up?

"Gai how are things over there?" Kakashi asked through the radio and I could hear from where I was standing the loud voice of Might Guy. Something on the lines of "We are fighting clones created by the deactivation of the seals. But we are sure to finish this quickly and assist you my eternal rival!"

"If it's just a clone then bushy browns will take no time to win." Naruto said while nodding his head as if to emphasize how sure he is. Well...

"You're not wrong." Big blue eyes looked shocked and somehow Kakashi looked more serious. Sighing since I feel my head won't stop pounding for a while, I try my last shot. "If you are so worried that I will try something, I will leave it clear: I'm not a spy from any organization that you are thinking. I'm even an enemy of the Akatsuki if you don't remember."

No one responded for a while until the Jounin gave a heavy sight and hanged his head a little, looking drained from energy.

"Okay, let's get out of here before an enemy shows up for a fight."

Without any hesitation, he picked Gaara's body and only nodded to Chiyo before jumping out of the cave to be followed by both ladies. I waited for Naruto to run after them too to follow pursuit, but, instead of preparing for a sprint after them, he looked behind. Surely trying to look at me but unfortunately failing.

"I know you can be the enemy but... thank you, for trying to save Gaara." And with that, he was gone. Naruto couldn't know but, I'm not worth to thank for since I could have done more. I've let the fear control my actions. No, he shouldn't thank a man that hesitated to save his friend and yet take credit for trying. I feel so... disgusted with myself right now.