CHAPTER 1

• Dedicated to Busola Olukoya

CHAPTER 1

A silence that screamed trouble was coming filled the room. No one moved no one spoke. General Kefentse sat at the end of the long table with his arms folded inspecting the council seated before him. The tension in the room built slowly and then he broke the deathly silence.

"So, everyone is here, I will now hear your complaints."

The previously quiet room broke out into a series of complaints. Everyone was saying something different (Did I say 'saying'? I meant screaming).

"Okay! Okay!" General Kefentse said, "I'll hold back my attack on Motusegi." And with those few words, the room was filled with sighs of relief. It hadn't made sense to anybody in the first place. Why would a General attack his own country? Was he crazy? Or did the beautiful nation have something he wanted? It didn't matter anymore, that was all out of the way.

"But," and once again the room fell dead silent. "On one condition," Questions flowed through everyone's mind. "Where's Queen Serafina?" he asked. No one answered. "Go get her. I want her to hear this."

·

She walked through the thick forest, Ayize strutted protectively beside her. She could see the small village ahead. A group of little children ran to her and hugged her and Ayize.

She smiled at the children at her feet and bent down to hug them.

"Serafina," a little girl said.

"Yes dear?"

"Are we safe, I mean, is the mean General gonna hurt us?"

"No, I won't let that happen."

"Are you gonna be hear all day?" a little boy asked trying to open Ayize's mouth in some odd quest to see what was in there.

"Of course."

"Serafina, we have to go now." The children started moaning. She could recognize that voice anywhere. It was her maid, Nobanzi.

"Why?"

"Kefilwe is looking for you."

"What is the problem now?"

"She says you presence is requested by the council."

"Ugh. The council can wait."

"She also said that the crown is at risk."

"Nobanzi, what are you still doing here, we have to go, my crown is in danger!" and then she looked at the sad children and smiled. "It's okay, I'll be back soon. I have to take care of something important now. Come on Ayize." The large lion got up and they slowly made their way back to the castle.

She snuck into her antechamber and Kefilwe ran out from her bedroom.

"Where have you been?" Serafina opened her mouth but nothing came out. Kefilwe was like a mother to her, mostly because both her parents had recently died in a car crash. "It doesn't matter. Just hurry and come with me."

Serafina followed obediently and silently. Having to see the council was never a good thing and so she constantly avoided it. She walked after Kefilwe into the large room that was unusually quiet. She curtsied to the council as a sign of respect and they all stood in response. She took her seat at the end of the table.

"So, what is the problem?" she asked. All eyes turned to Kefentse. She knew no good was going to come out of that. He stood up.

"I have decided to hold back my attack on Motusegi."

"Oh, you've finally come to your senses? Hallelujah!" Unlike everyone else, Serafina was definitely not afraid of the General and he knew that and that agitated him more than anything.