CHAPTER 7

CHAPTER 7

Timilehin stood at the edge of Lake Mandara and recalled all of his memories at the lake. He laughed. Serafina had told him to meet her there, she didn’t say why; she just said to meet her. He looked into the lake and saw a reflection that wasn’t his; he turned around to see who it was and, when he saw, fear took over his entire body. This was not the place to be with Kefentse.

“Timi, boy, I need to talk to you about something very important.”

“What?”

“I’m going to need you to stay away from Serafina.”

“Why?”

“That’s for me to know and for you to find out.”

“Look, I am not scared of you.”

“You should be.”

“Give me one good reason why I should.”

Kefentse laughed quietly and then tapped his left foot once and, suddenly, armed soldiers came out from everywhere in the forest. From behind the trees, from the top of the trees, from the ground and even from the water, and they all had their guns pointed at Timilehin. Then, Kefentse pulled out a gun and pointed it at Timi.

“And I’ll be the one to fire the first shot.” He said.

“That is a very good reason.” Timilehin said.

“You’re a smart kid.” Kefentse said and then everyone disappeared, including him.

Timilehin stood there scared to death.

“Hey,” Serafina said emerging from the forest.

“Hey.” Timi said. “What was that?” Timilehin asked reacting to the sounds coming from the forest.

“It’s okay. Kike, 'Pano, Mandisa and Lanre followed me.”

“Oh.” Timilehin said calming down.

“Timi catch!” Kopano said tossing a basketball at Timilehin. Timilehin caught it and tossed it back, and it went back and forth like that Serafina’s disappointment.

“Stop!” Serafina said catching the ball before Kopano did.

“Hey!” Kopano wined trying to take the ball from her.

“You know,” she whispered to him, “if things don’t work out between me and Timi, he’s gonna leave and never…”

“I’ll see you later.” Kopano said then ran away.

“You were mean to him.” Timilehin said.

“No, I wasn’t”

“Yes, you were.”

“No, I wasn’t!” She threw the ball at him and he threw it back at her and she caught it to his surprise.

“Awesome reflexes dude. I’ll see you around.” He said then left.

Serafina froze and the ball fell out of her hands.

“Hey.” Lanre said. “Are you okay?”

“He called me dude and you expect me to be okay?”

“What is so bad about him calling you dude?”

“Isn’t that what he calls you?”

“Yeah, so?”

“That just means I only matter to him as much as you do!”

“Ouch.”

“No offense intended.”