CHAPTER 16

CHAPTER 16

Serafina walked to the drawer. She took the silver key out from the box on the shelf and unlocked the drawer. She pulled out the amethyst necklace Timi had given to her on her birthday and put it around her neck. Finally, it was where it belonged. She found a stick of gum in the drawer, shrugged and popped it in her mouth.

“Hey,” Myra said

“Hey. How’ve you been?”

“Good. Been thinking.”

“About what?”

“What I’m going to do with myself. And I’ve decided to go back to England.”

“What? Why?”

“Right now I don’t where I belong and I guess I need to search for that place and home is probably a good place to start.”

“You don’t need to search. You can stay here.” But Myra was not convinced. “It’ll be fun.” Serafina added.

“Is that really all you’re thinking about? Fun?”

“You can work here. And Motusegi is known for its good looking men.”

Myra giggled. “Seriously Myra, don’t go. You belong here.”

“Fine. I’ll stay.”

“Yayyyy!”

“For now!”

“Oh please, you’re not going anywhere. Come on, Kefilwe said I should come to garden.”

As they walked to the Nomalanga garden Serafina wondered why Kefilwe wanted her in the garden. She hoped that she wasn’t in trouble. But how could he be, she hadn’t been home all day.

“Hey,” Serafina said as she walked into the garden, “Timi! Lanre!” she screamed as she ran and hugged them. “I thought you guys were I trouble with your mum.”

“Yeah, but we got out of it.” Timi said

“How?” Serafina asked

“I didn’t learn to fly a chopper for nothing,” Lanre said. Serafina stood confused. “We hijacked the helicopter.”

“Oh.” Serafina said, “That’s nice.” She paused and looked around, “Why am I here?”

“Because we need to talk.” Mandisa said pulling her to the piano. “There’s something I’ve been keeping from you and it’s time I let you know.”

“Let me know what?”

“Lanre and I have been dating.”

Mandisa expected a shocked look to show up on Serafina’s face but it didn’t. Serafina just stood there with an unchanged expression chewing her gum. She blew a bubble then popped it.

“Gasp.” She said, still not changing her expression.

“You knew?!” Mandisa asked, shocked

“Of course I knew.”

“How?”

“I never did see you two come back from that club you and Myra dragged me to, so you’ve been dating for like a week.”

“Actually it’s a little more than that.”

“What more?”

As a response Mandisa lifted her left hand displaying the ring with an emerald on her finger. Serafina’s jaw dropped, as did Kike’s.