6: Shock

The route back to the palace had the sense of calmness with the radiating sun shining in the blue sky and Vlad beside me. I asked Vlad about where we were and I was right, we weren’t in Italy, we were in the Vampire Realm. I guess my parents just didn’t want to alarm me as much since I was new to the whole ordeal of things around here, but that’s what made sense though. Everything around me looked and felt unreal. The plants looked alive, and they gave off a stronger aroma than usual that made you want to go over there and pluck it out of the ground to keep it. As soon as I reached the palace, I ran back to my room and pulled out a thick magazine from underneath the bed. My parents weren’t too happy that I left the palace without permission but they soon got over it. Sitting in this room gave me the most beautiful sight to look at, despite being in the Vampire Realm there was an ocean in the far view where you could watch the dark blue waves collide into each other.

I allowed my mind to relax after the morning events that occurred with that werewolf Chris, and laid my head on a fluffy pillow. I haven’t been able to talk to my dad properly yet but I guess I only just came here so I wouldn’t expect him to clear my calendar just for me. Then there’s the beautiful and elegant Vlad who swoons me every time we make eye contact.  I’ve never met anyone quite like him, and I’m glad I haven’t. He’s unique, let alone charming. I sat there day dreaming for what could have been hours when I glanced at my bed stand clock and noticed it was only half an hour, then I heard a knock at the door.

“Come in,” I said as I saw the door open slightly welcoming the familiar stranger.

“Hello princess, glad you’re awake. It’d be a shame if I woke you up.”

“Well if it isn’t the devil. If you woke me up, I most probably would throw a pillow at you.”

“You’d know that I would catch it so there’s no point,” he spoke with a cute smirk, “but you have to come along now, your mother wants to see you in the sunset room. She says it’s important.”

 "It’s so much effort to move,” I whined as I scrunched my face up. I could see how much Vlad empathized me since I was wrapped up in blankets in the most comfy position you could ever be in.

“It’s the Queen’s orders princess, so you have to come whether you like it or not.” 

“Fine,” I said as I gave in, “I’m coming.”

That’s one of the things that I hate, when people ask me to move when I’ve already clearly made myself comfortable which is a rare thing for me to do, but I guess that now I’m in some sort of royal court I’d have to at least respect the system and obey. Rolling my eyes I grabbed a jacket from a hanger on the door and pulled it on feeling my arms settle to the warmth again. Walking down the halls of the palace made my mind feel baffled and confused. It’s like a huge maze, where you only have one destination but then there are alternative routes that lead you to a dead end. Adjusting to this whole thing will take years for me to understand what certain terms mean in royalty and probably or most likely will need a map for this if I were to go around the palace on my own. I felt light on my feet as we travelled towards the bright oak doors that were guarded by two huge men. When we were in their sight, they both opened the doors in sync where the view of my lovely mother sat at the desk writing down things intensely. She seemed so into her work that she didn’t even notice us enter, so being respectful in all and remembering what that little voice said in my head, I respected her and waited until she finished her work.

The room was incredibly beautiful with designs that you wouldn’t even think of to make. They looked almost hand drawn and even carved. The ceiling looked reflective, but made out of a type of metal that made your eyes feel funny from looking at the blurred reflection. It also had a huge balcony that had a table set with drinks and trays of food that made my mouth water. This felt as if it was a ball room, well big enough for it to be one anyway. The theme of the room felt as if it was antique but personal. Spinning round I caught sight of the four elements spinning round clockwise on a platform that was half the size of me in the air but was on the level of my shoulders. It was hypnotising to watch it as they spun round and round and round until you didn’t even know where you were anymore. The four elements that were shown were fire, water, earth and air. With air, you couldn’t really see it but someone must have found a way to obtain the element so you’d be able to see it. The light travelled in through the thin-glassed windows and bounced off everything that was made out of metal which gave the room a sort of shine. This room really expressed my mum in ways I’ve never seen it. She seemed more alive, and more home.