Chapter: Souled

The moment Cas touched Dean's hand he saw it. It started at their fingertips. The normal, moderate gray of his hand warmed, reminding him of a cool summer day and it didn't stop there. It spread, slow at first, then faster until the whole room was awash with...Cas couldn't describe it.

It's like he'd been wearing sunglasses his whole life and he'd finally taken them off.

He looked at his sister, Anna, and was stunned when her hair, normally a dark gray, brightened into something else entirely. He looked at Dean too, who had the exact same dumbfounded expression he probably had on his face.

Then he realized.

He'd been Souled.

Cas had seen it happen many times, never in person though. The way religious priests explain it is when a people are born, they aren't born whole. Our world is dull and gray and the only way to make ourselves whole again, is to find our Soul Mates, our other halves. When two Soul Mates touch, they become Souled. For life. That person is someone you're meant to love. Everyone has a Soul Mate, but with 7 billion other people in the world, it's likely it will never happen.

Marriages have been torn apart because spouses become Souled to someone else. You can't fight it. He'd seen interviews with Souled couples. They described it as the entire world changing. They say that the usual gray colors turned brighter or darker and shifted. He'd never believed them, until today.

Cas had dreamed of getting Souled since he was a kid.

But not like this.

"No!" Cas yelled, pulling his hand back. The world dulled, but the new colors were still there. "Y-you're a man. I-I can't be Souled to a man."

Dean, who had had the same revelation as Cas, snapped out of the shock. "I have a girlfriend," he said quietly. He didn't realize why Cas was so scared at being Souled too until he saw the cross necklace that was settled right across his collar. "I can't be Souled...I love someone else."

And there they stood, staring at each other, trying to deny that they'd been Souled.

"Ok this...whatever this was. It never happened. Got it?" Dean whispered, his tone scared.

Cas nodded and backed away. He turned around and ran outside to the car, the gray steadily coming back with every step he took away from Dean. He ignored the fact that his hand still burned from his touch as his world turned back to it's wonderfully dull self.