Chapter 13: The Second Task

Your POV

It's been a couple of days since the Yule Ball. Ron and Hermione had started talking to each other but it was a little too formal. I had Care for Magical Creatures with the Gryffindors. I made my way down the steps when I heard footsteps behind me. Recognising the owner of those footsteps I turned around and scowled at them.

"What now, Malfoy?" I asked. He seemed oddly happy about something and that was never good. He pulled a piece of paper from behind his back and showed it to me smugly, like a kid showing their parents their good grades. I snatched the paper out of his hands and read the headline.

'DUMBLEDORE'S GIANT MISTAKE' it read. As I continued reading the words my eyes got wider. It started as Dumbledore's odd choice of staff, Mad-Eye being one. Then it moved onto Hagrid, stating that he had been expelled in his third year before Dumbledore decided to make him the gamekeeper and how he seemingly made Dumbledore appoint him as Care of Magical creatures teacher.

I got to the part where Malfoy was attacked by a Hippogriff and scoffed. If the fools had kept their ego in check, then maybe none of it would have happened. Malfoy then said lies to make Hagrid seem in the wrong. The next part however was what shocked me. It said that Hagrid was a half-giant, his mother being a giantess called Fridwulfa. Then it started going on about how giants are ruthless creatures.

I stopped there and stared at the blonde in front of me. I couldn't say much since my brain couldn't form words instead, I shoved the newspaper back at him. He had a satisfied smirk on his face. I wasn't as fond as Hagrid as the others but he certainly wasn't a bad man as they made him to be.

"Potter is not going to be happy, alright." Malfoy stated, "I mean who would be, after discovering their friend is part-giant."

I had to agree with him on the first statement. I didn't know what to do so I watched as he showed the trio the exact same paper he showed me and I watched as their faces contorted in shock and horror. They started arguing and I stepped in.

"Enough, Malfoy. Get out of here." I shot a warning look in his direction and luckily he took the hint. I turned towards them.

" You are going to help him are you?" I asked them and they all nodded, "I might not be as close to him as you are Harry, but I do think that he doesn't deserve this. He's as human as all of us despite what they say. Do your thing Potter." I patted his shoulder. He looked at me with a smile of newfound respect and appreciation. They all did.

So I smiled back.

==============

The second task was coming closer. Potter had claimed that he's solved the clue in the egg but I could see through his unconvincing lie. If he had really solved it he wouldn't convince us that he had at every waking moment and he would actually share it with us. He also seemed quite stressed.

I wanted to meet him to offer my help with the task when I heard his voice conversing with another familiar one. The second voice belonged to Diggory without a doubt but I couldn't hear what they were saying because of them whispering. The finally parted ways and as Harry was about to turn the corner, I blocked his path by leaning against the wall in front of him.

"Care to explain?" Harry had a nervous look in his eye before it disappeared.

"Cedric was telling me about something Professor Sprout wanted to tell me, it's nothing." He tried waving the topic off but I smirked and uncrossed my arms before standing in front of him.

"I didn't mention anything about Cedric did I, Potter?" I smirked wickedly down at him and saw him fidget before letting out a sigh.

"Fine, he offered me help on the egg, but I've completed it. I really have," he said. So Diggory's trying to repay him? How awfully kind. Not that I'd expect anything less from a Hufflepuff. I narrowed my eyes suspiciously at him.