Chapter 7

Vegeta settled on flying across the ocean to Kame House first.

The thought of meeting one of Goku's weirdo friends alone was certainly strange. Had he ever visited Master Roshi on his own? Had he ever spoken directly to the man at a party? He couldn't remember, and if he ever did, it wasn't memorable. It occurred to him Roshi had been Goku's master; before today it never crossed his mind to pick the geezer's brain. Bulma did a good job at pigeonholing Roshi into the category of pervert, and nothing else.

Over the ocean's horizon, he spotted the garish pink house and the tiny island it inhabited. He sensed three energy levels. Fuck. Who else did he have to deal with today? He focused harder on the smaller ones and concluded they were minuscule. Must be the weird pig man and decrepit turtle pet Roshi kept. What were their names again?

Vegeta settled gently on the beach sand. The dull sound of a television set bled from an open window. He walked to the front door, and hesitated before knocking. How would he announce himself? Pretend he was just visiting, and casually bring up the apology? Or should he just apologize and fly away immediately so he didn't have to suffer through the embarrassment longer than necessary? How did Goku exactly want him to do this?

Oolong saved him the trouble of standing on the porch any longer by opening the door. He reeled backwards and almost lost his footing. "What are you doing here?" He leaned to look over Vegeta's shoulder. "Are you here with Bulma? Or Goku?"

"No. I came alone." Vegeta opened the door the rest of the way and let himself in. He ignored Oolong's violent shaking and walked into the living room. Stacked atop two milk carton cases sat a small TV, and planted in front of it sat Master Roshi. The old man chuckled under his breath. In his right hand he clenched a handkerchief and occasionally dabbed his sweaty forehead clean of its sheen. On the TV screen was a woman bobbing a Shake Weight up and down between her hands. She was giving an invisible man a fantastic hand-job.

"Keep shakin' that weight, baby!" Master Roshi giggled.

What the hell? Is this what he does all day?Vegeta made himself comfortable on the couch. He could wait this out.

"Oolong, get our guest a drink," Roshi said. His eyes stayed glued to the television screen.

"I'm not a maid," Oolong grumbled. He dragged himself to the kitchen.

"Do you really find this entertaining?" Vegeta asked. He crossed both his arms and legs.

"These lady aerobics just get better and better as the years go on!"

"You watch this…like it's pornography."

Roshi leaned back, and finally turned his attention to Vegeta. He turned off the TV. "I thought I'd give you some time before you apologized, but we can get right to it if you want."

Vegeta perked up. "Who told you I was giving an apology?"

"I read your mind."

Oolong walked back into the living room. He handed off a glass of dark beer to Roshi and Vegeta, and rushed out of the room. "I'm, ah, going to let you and His Highness talk alone."

"Old man," Vegeta said while pointing at Roshi, "repeat what you said to me before."

"You heard me. I read your mind. You're here to apologize for all of the evil things you've done." Roshi smiled. "I'm not some dumb old coot, ya know!"

Vegeta opened his mouth. He wasn't sure how to respond.

"Come outside with me." Roshi walked out of the living room without giving Vegeta another glance.