Chapter 15

Marron promised to be a relentless teacher.

As soon as Vegeta woke up at 8AM the next day, Marron demanded four hours of his time. Basic color theory was the first topic at hand, and already they'd run into a roadblock.

"Uncle Vegeta," Marron groaned. "I don't know why you want to argue with me about something so simple." She pointed at the graphic representation of the color wheel pinned to her studio wall. "This," she emphasized, pointing at a red circle, "is the color red. And this," she said, "is the color green. They're different from each other. Red is a primary color, while green is a complementary color made from mixing yellow and blue."

Vegeta didn't like the tone of her voice. "Yes, I know that. All I'm saying is that next to each other, red and green look very similar. It's normal to get them mixed up."

"But they're not similar at all! They're completely different colors!" She rubbed her cheeks. Her eyes widened. "What color is Uncle Goku's training gi?"

"It's green."

Marron blinked. "It…is?"

"Of course it is. Are you joking?"

"…Hm. Hold on a sec."

Vegeta crossed his arms and watched her scramble over to her huge wooden work table. It was difficult for him to stay respectful. He had few teachers in his youth, and as a prince, they had to work to please him. Not the other way around. Marron, on the other hand, had high expectations of him and made it apparent when she was disappointed.

She ran back over to Vegeta and shoved a sheet of paper into his lap. "I just colored this. What do you see?"

He squinted his eyes. "A green square with a blue circle inside of it."

"Is that all?"

"Yes, that's all I see!"

She stood back. "I think you're color blind." She pressed her finger onto the paper, then traced it around an invisible shape. "Right here, there's a reddish-brown triangle inside the green square too."

"I can see colors just fine."

She laughed. "I think you just have trouble with reds and greens. I'm not saying you can't see color at all."

"Hmph."

"It's okay!" She smiled. "There's nothing wrong with being color blind."

He covered his eyes. "You're saying I'm deficient."

"No! Not at all." She sighed. "You shouldn't think of it that way. You're just different."

He didn't want to be different. Not in that way.
◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

An hour later, Marron insisted they both travel to the mountain trail several miles north of the suburbs. "I think you learn best from observation," she insisted. "When I was a kid, I hated all of the art classes where we never actually went outside."

"You're still a kid to me," Vegeta said. They were walking back inside Krillin's house. "What's the huge bag for?"

"It's full of art supplies, silly." Marron jumped once in the air to readjust the weight of the bag slung over her shoulder. "Got to make sure we have everything we need!"

He glanced over at her. She looked exhausted and excited at the same time. The girl got little sleep because of her late-night work schedule. "Don't you have school today?" he asked.

"Not anymore. It's the summer!" She twirled around in a circle, and almost fell over. "No school until the fall."

Vegeta nodded. By this time next year, it would be summer again and Trunks would be done with high school completely. "What grade are you in?"