CHAPTER 8

The Malay words echoed in the room despite the population.

Ali gaped and a whisper rattled the sewn silence of the uniformed communists, all staring as the military officer pointed straight at the boy in the chair. I can't lose him again, Ali chanted. Not again. No.

Ivan's eyes widened.

Without command, the men behind the officer marched past and grasped Ivan's arms, even as he lay still with shock. Ali looked around, eyes widening himself, hands twitching where they hung in fists.

He found Amadi, but his brother shook his head slowly as they held eye contact. Don't do anything stupid, Amadi mouthed.

Ali tightened his fists and turned back to the officers. Not again.

Ivan willingly stood and limped with the men.

Ali jumped in front and stopped the main officer before he could leave. Amadi pushed off the wall, keeping his knees bent, glaring at Ali.

"Sir," Ali said nonchalantly, "what's the reasoning behind this?"

The man coughed.

"This man is being arrested for an act terrorism on the Malay State of Perak," the man answered. "He was reported by an anonymous caller, who claimed he had run to the Communists for support."

"But the caller clearly stated that the Communists had nothing to do with the event that happened today," he continued. Ali's jaw dropped.

"And with the donation made, we can safely say that this man set fire to the tin mine in an act of terrorism."

Ivan bowed his head as the men continued to move towards the door.

"He's being framed," Ali said. Amadi glowered in warning. "I -"

"I think that's enough. Thank you for your time." Amadi interrupted. He grabbed Ali's elbow and dragged him into a corner. Ali's eyes never left Ivan.

"What was that?" Amadi gnashed his teeth, grinding as he frowned down at Ali.

"What was that?" Ali turned towards him. "You're asking me that? What were you doing while I was trying to get him back, cowering in the corner?" Ali tore his arm from Amadi's grip and faced the crowd, away from his brother. Not again. I can't lose him...

"I'm protecting you," Amadi said.

"I don't need protection from my younger brother!" Ali spat. "Who was it on the frontlines for years? It sure as hell wasn't you, Amadi."

"It's best for the party. If we were to intervene -"

"He was housed here! We're already involved!" Ali confronted his younger brother, waving his arms for emphasis.

"Maybe, but the caller said -"

"Oh, the caller. I swear, I'm going to hunt that man down -"

"Ali, it's better this way."

"No, no it isn't. He was my best hope in the war, I'm not letting him be involved in some - some travesty of justice! You heard what he said, someone here is bribing the government. Doesn't that concern you?"

"It's not my problem."

"That's not your problem? You have some serious priority issues -"

"Ali, seriously -"

"- If you can't understand that this party could be prosecuted, simply for bribing the government. Is this party not your problem?"