Chapter 13: Killinger's

You quickly leaped over the countless roofs of Gotham City, trying to get to the Killinger's store as soon as possible.  On your way, Barb gave you a few more details.  It seemed almost too simple for Joker though.  He was holding hostages in the store and stealing the jewelry and money.  Something was wrong this time, and you were going to find out.  

As soon as you were close to the store, you could see the countless police cars standing right outside.  Dozens of officers had their guns held high and ready to shoot should any of Joker's henchmen come out.  Followed by them were a few news reporters and a helicopter was flying above the store; you were sure that Vicki Vale was in it.  You quickly ran to the rooftop and slipped into the air vent there. 

You landed on one of the gargoyles and looked for Batman across any of them.  He was only about 20 feet away from you.  "Batgirl, I need you to find the control panel for the jewelry department.  They're still there and if we can lock them down, they won't be able to escape." 

You nodded and quickly grappled to a new area of the store right by the top floor.  There, you could see the room that had several switchboards, all labeled with the different departments.  You quickly found the one for the jewelry section and flipped the multiple fuses.  "I didn't know they still had fuseboxes here," You thought out loud.  

The lights went out as the gates quickly slammed down.  Hostages screamed as soon as it went dark, but the yells of thugs quickly drowned them out.  You made your way back down and into the area through a vent.  Before you could even look, Bruce had taken out several of the men.  You ran in and quickly knocked out two armed men from behind.  

As Batman took out the rest of the men, you ran towards the hostages to make sure they were okay.  Several of them were women and children who were probably bored before Joker and his men came in.  Most of them were unharmed, but there was an exception.  A young man in his 20's laid on the floor, dead.  Blood was rushing out of his chest still.  He was likely getting an engagement ring for a girlfriend.  

"Aw, you're no fun, Bats!  I was just trying to find a nice necklace for Harley!"  Joker laughed loudly, standing on one of the glass displays that weren't broken.  

Before he could turn around you pinned him to the ground, broken glass cutting the side of his face.  He couldn't feel the pain, so he laughed as if nothing had happened.  Like you were an old friend, and you were just playing around with him.  "Batgirl!  What are you doing here?!" 

"Dragging you back to Arkham, Joker." 

"But you aren't invited to the party!  Well, I can make an exception, but only for you!"  He continued to laugh like a madman.  

"What party?"  You asked as you started walking him out and towards the Batmobile.  As soon as you walked out the door with him, the many police officers who had been surrounding the place lowered their guns.  

"A surprise party!" 

You rolled your eyes and made your way to the car, where you found a familiar teenage boy leaning up against the Batmobile.  When news reporters realized it was Jason Todd, they attempted to swarm him.  Unfortunately for them, the Batmobile was inside the taped off area and they couldn't reach him.  Anything the two of you said, they wouldn't be able to hear.

"What are you doing here, Jason?" You asked as you pushed Joker into the seat behind the car. 

"Jason, my boy!  You've come back to me!"  Joker yelled happily.  You slammed the door shut so that you didn't have to hear him any longer.  

"I wanted to see what was going on because if you didn't know, you can't just tell me what to do."  He rolled his eyes. 

"Jason, go home.  There's something wrong here, and I can't figure out what.  You should get back to the Manor before something goes wrong and you get hurt."  

"The same can be said for you.  I know what that freak is capable of more than most.  I know it better than Batman." 

"Jason, if you even think about going on this trip, I will personally drag you by the ear to Alfred, who will give you a lecture for an hour." 

"Then you're going to have to do it.  I'll meet you at the asylum," He storms off and dodges all the news reporters that were desperate to find out why he was there.  

If only he knew the kind of trouble that would occur that night.  

A/N: I am so sorry that it has been forever since I updated.  Long story short, holidays.  Anyway, I apologize for the short chapter.  I'm going to be quite busy these next few months, so things will have extremely slow updates.  Lots of schoolwork, apparently there's such a thing as an imaginary number in Algebra, go figure.  I am taking a driver's ed course which ends next month, and I am going to be tutoring a 3rd grader in math for the next 10 weeks.  I will try to update, and Stuck in Gotham might be published soon.  Either way, slow updates, should return normally in April.  Well, for the short period of time before Avengers: Endgame comes out and then I cry my eyes out and get so depressed that I don't want to write.  My mom's already told me we're seeing the Thursday night showing for it.  We aren't waiting for it!