Home for Christmas

Stefani

The snow had just began to come down heavily as I pulled open the creaky wooden door of my parent's restaurant late Monday afternoon. The sweet aroma of my father's Italian cooking hit my soul in an overwhelming sensation of comfort. It was in between the lunch and dinner rushes, and because the restaurant was closed until 4:30pm, everything was relatively quiet, except for the distinctive hum of the sound of my daughter's giggling around back.

 It was in between the lunch and dinner rushes, and because the restaurant was closed until 4:30pm, everything was relatively quiet, except for the distinctive hum of the sound of my daughter's giggling around back

Tomorrow was Christmas Eve, and I had just arrived back to the city from a work trip to Los Angeles. I hated to leave the girls, especially around this time of year, but I had some last minute meetings that needed to be taken care of before the New Year.

Bradley had been filming a new movie in rural South Carolina for the past several weeks, and he was due to arrive later tonight. He was supposed to fly out this morning but his flight had been delayed until tonight because of the snow. This storm had taken the whole East Coast into its frozen grip, and it was seemingly wrecking havoc on so many holiday travel plans.

We didn't like to both be away from the girls at the same time, but sometimes with our work schedules, it was unavoidable. Luckily, we had my parents to look after the girls while we were away.

My phone buzzed. Bradley:

"Still stuck at the airport, looking like another 4 hour delay. Will call when I can. I will make it home to you and the girls if it's the last thing I do. I love you."

I just wanted him home, and although work was work, I was feeling a bit resentful that the director hadn't let him leave early given the snow.

I closed to door quietly, following the sound of Lulu and Margot's voices, who were outside in their fluffy white clothes on the back patio playing in the snow.

The restaurant was always so beautiful this time of year. My Mom always took special care to put up the most beautiful Christmas decorations.

 My Mom always took special care to put up the most beautiful Christmas decorations