Running

"Running away was easy; not knowing what to do next was the hard part."
- Glenda Millard

The pressure of celebrity often felt oppressive. Heavier than the summer heat in the city, the weight of such fame on our shoulders at times was unbearable.

Though she was no mistake, the reality of her presence took us both by surprise.

Our lives had always been scrutinized under a magnifying glass, but now, it felt like everything was bound to be amplified; as though we had suddenly pulled by the scruff of our necks, and placed in a glass fortress for the world to watch our every move.

I remember sobbing silently in the back of a black limousine, crying for any way to stop and drown out the voices I heard loudly outside my door.

My mind turned and turned, the Entertainment and Gossip program on our television set humming loudly in the background. I could already imagine the coverage all of this would receive.

We needed a way out of this limelight, a way out of this glass fortress, a way of from prying eyes.

All of my anxieties were just figments if my imagination now, but they were surely our future if we did not act quickly.

I didn't feel like myself anymore. Never in my life had I ever been so overwhelmed with fear. We were hiding a secret from the world. A secret that would change our lives forever.

So after much anguish, but without much forward looking thought, we did the only thing that made sense in our minds at the time: we ran.

We disappeared without a trace, leaving no note or statement to the press. Those who were close to us knew where we had gone, but no one else.

We needed to protect ourselves, and more importantly, we had to protect her.

So we fled back to the warmth of our roots to find safety.

She was a result of a drunken slumber in Paris.
His sturdy hand had led me to the car after a show, his lips discovering my body as we drove off into the early morning hours of the darkness.

Normally when I was looking at stripes it was at fashion week, but these two pink lines were different than anything I had ever experienced.

He had held me as I shook with fear on the floor of our hotel bathroom floor. I was overwhelmed with so many emotions: profound happiness, crippling anxiety, and a sudden undeniable sense of protectiveness.

His hands were cold when he cupped the back of my neck, but his breath was warm when he kissed my cheek.

We had not planned her to come now. Our plan has noted her a few years down line, but there was no mistaking her presence.

Her little soul had already captured my heart.

As we sat there on the bathroom floor, he made me a promise that I already knew. He promised me he would do everything in his power to protect us.

He did not have to say it, I already knew that.

He promised me happiness, and a life that we would look back on with pride.

He promised that it would all be okay.

And I believed him, I had to.

We ran away from the world to save ourselves and to save our child from those watching eyes.

One day we would comeback, but for now, we would find shelter and recuperate.

-