En Rose

Today marks a day that changed my life forever. It was long before the girls came along, and I still remember it vividly.

As the exhaustion engulfed my body, I allowed my head to rest against the gold paneling of the hotel elevator. My eyes tried desperately to avoid my reflection in the mirror, but to no avail. My gaze drifted, and I was met by the woman staring back at me. My eyes were dry now, the remnants of my streaked mascara and smeared stage makeup were the only evidence of the tears that had come flooding so quickly.

I sniffled, wiping my running nose against my gray hooded sweatshirt that covered my hair as I repeatedly pressed the glowing level twelve button, hoping it would make the time move faster and allow me to escape the heaviness of my heart.

I had left my security for the night, and I hadn't seen my team in hours. It really seemed as though I was the only person awake in this hotel. The silence, honestly, made me a little uncomfortable.

The elevators doors opened, and I grabbed my suitcase and the black purse I had dropped on the elevator floor in my impatience.

I staggered down the dimly lit hallway, watching my feet drag along the hotel carpet. The 18th century designs of the old hotel pulled me into another world momentarily, my mind wandering as to who else before me had walked these halls, but I quickly came back to reality when I reached my room. I pressed the plastic key against the lock and pushed the door open, reaching for one of the switches to bring some light into the expansive hall.

I was exhausted, and all I wanted to do was crawl into my bed and disappear. When the hotel staff recognized me, they immediately put me up in their most luxurious room. However, luxury is not cure for loneliness. At this hour of the morning, the silence made the room appear even larger, leaving me feeling uneasy.

I threw myself onto the king size bed. My phone, buzzed loudly as I let out frustrated grumble.

Twelve missed calls.

Walking in on my boyfriend and some Parisian girl was not exactly what I expected to find in the early hours of the morning when I returned to my hotel room across town just an hour earlier, nor was it the way I way I wanted to remember my time in the city of lights and love.

His arms were cradled around her petite figure, her blonde hair laying against his shoulder, their bare bodies still intertwined in a dreamless sleep. The freckles on her back, and her chipped black manicure were just visible from where I stood in the doorway of the bedroom.

I had a 2-day stint here in Paris. I was here to sing at Parker Institute Gala for Cancer Research, and I was planning on staying here in Europe for a few weeks to relax and renew.

He had flown in that evening during the benefit in order to be with me in Europe for a few weeks. He was originally supposed to meet me at the afterparty, but upon his flight's arrival, he had texted that he was too exhausted from the flight, and would just meet me at the hotel.

The event had ended earlier than expected. Since he thought I would not be back in until three or four in the morning, instead of going out to the afterparty as I had originally planned, I decided to come back to the hotel to surprise him.

When I arrived at the hotel room, my whole world was flipped upside-down.

I could feel my body shake from the pure angry, confusion and heartache. From the depths of my gut, I screamed. The girl, not more than twenty-three, was startled. Her brown eyes were wide with shock as she held the white comforter tight to her chest. He stuttered in embarrassment, trying to get coherent words out but all I heard was the thud of my heart beating in my ear.