Behind These Doors

Stefani

Margot's bedroom door let out a soft creek as I pushed it open and peaked inside. Tonight was a school night, but we had promised the girls that they could have a sleepover together if they were good all weekend.

The nightlight in the back corner was lit just enough so I could see clearly see their little bodies heaved in an intertwined bundle on the bed.

Asia, our puppy, pawed her way up the stairs, and peaked her head between my legs to get her own look.

Lulu lay limp on her back, her mouth slightly ajar with one arm curled up by her head and the other wrapped around her younger sister. Margot's little body had taken up most of the bed. She lay sprawled on her stomach, each ligament stretched in a different direction. With her stuffed rabbit clutched in one arm, and her cheek pressed against her sister's chest, they were both out cold.

All in a successful Sunday's work.

"Come on, Asia," I whispered as I heard rustling of the baby monitor in the pajama pocket, and I closed the door behind me.

I headed down a flight of stairs with Asia following closely behind to our bedroom, where Evie had been sleeping in the bassinet next to our bed.

"Alright, alright, I'm coming baby girl," I said lowly as stretched my arms out to pick her up. She whimpered again, as I cradled her head, trying to keep her from wailing and waking her sisters.

"Shh, shh what is it, baby?" I murmured against her forehead, "I know you're hungry, just be patient. Let's go downstairs with Daddy. It's almost airtime anyway," I said, as I pulled her favorite pink blanket and stuffed bear from her bassinet.

As I made my way down the stairs, balancing Evie in one arm, I could hear the muffled echo of the television traveling up through the hallways from the living room of our New York City townhouse.

The scent of our Sunday family dinner still lingered in the air. Sunday was the best day of the week, because our family would come over for all us to spend the day together.

This week, we had made lasagne with the girls, and each child had somehow ended up with tomato sauce all over them. Margot had faired the worst after Lu had smeared her handprint right on her sisters cheek in a hysterical fit of laughter.

Once we got the girls cousins cleaned up, we were finally able to sit down and eat.

After some afternoon football though, everything settled down just as it did every Sunday.

"Girls asleep?" Bradley asked as I handed him Evie to hold for a moment as I settled myself on the couch. "Hey, sweet girl," Bradley said as he lifted Evie up to his eye level and kissed her cheek.

"Passed out, thank God," I chuckled and pulled our family's favorite blue blanket over the two us.

Evie let out another whimper, this time louder, as I craned my head to press a kiss to Bradley's lips and ran my fingers through his hair.

"Well you are just so impatient tonight, aren't you?" I said to the infant as Bradley put hit feet up against the coffee table and lay her on his legs.

"She is your daughter, Stef," Bradley chuckled as he ran hand over Evie's belly.

"Oh shut up," I said as I shook my head, pulled my shirt and motioned for him to give her to me.

"It's crazy that this is finally airing," Bradley said as I brought Evie to my chest.

"I know, it feels like we started this process so long ago," I said as I rested my head on Bradley's shoulder.