Enchanted Dreaming

Bradley

"Come on, Evie, say 'Dada'! Come on, baby. I know you can do it. Say 'Dada!' Da-da, Da-da," I begged Evie as I sat in the seat next to her high chair.

Because we were on the West Coast for a few days on business, we had decided to take the girls to one of their favorite places: Disneyland. It was 7-month old Evie's first time, and to say Lulu and Margot were excited would be a total understatement.

We were having breakfast in the back room of our favorite local Los Angeles diner before we were going to meet up with the family and some friends for the rest of the day. For what seemed like the fifth time this week, I had found myself in a stand off of wits with our youngest.

I placed another handful of cheerios on her high chair tray as she watched me cautiously.

"Please baby? Say 'Dada'? Please say it for Daddy."

She eyed me again, glancing over at her sisters who were observing the spectacle eagerly.

"Ma-ma," she murmured with one of her fingers in her mouth. I let out and an exasperated sigh of defeat as Stefani and the girls roared with laughter.

Evie grinned as she watched her sisters and mother laugh, glancing back at me with a coy smile.

"You realize she knows exactly what she's doing, I know she can say it, she's just messing with you," Stefani laughed, as our waitress approached us and placed a stack of chocolate-chip pancakes for Lulu and Margot share as they sat between us in a semi-circle booth. "She's just a Momma's girl, and a smart little cookie," Stefani grinned smugly. "That you can't take away from me. These two over here on the other hand-" she paused motioning to Lu and Margot who looked up only briefly when mentioned to smirk with mouthful of pancake, "are total Daddy's girls. Finally I have one who just wants Momma all the time, right Evie?" Stefani hummed as she pulled apart a pancake and placed it on Evie's high chair for her to chew on with the two teeth she had.

I just shook my head with a chuckle as I turned towards my wife, and the waitress handed Stefani her favorite egg white omelette, then an eggs Benedict to me.

"Thank you," I nodded to the waitress. "It's more than just being a Momma's girl, you realize there is no denying that she is literally a mini-you, she knows exactly how to push my buttons."

With a piece of pancake in her hand, Evie reached out to me, motioning with her hands for me to pick her up.

"Oh so now you want me?" I sighed with a chuckled as she whimpered louder and I ultimately complied, pulling her out of her chair and into my lap as I handed her another piece of pancake to eat. "Why do you do this to me, Evie? Huh? Why baby?" I mumbled as I pressed a kiss to the baby's head, and adjusted myself to take a bite of my own breakfast.

"Taste good?" Stefani asked as Lulu and Margot nodded vigorously.

"Want it?" Margot, who was sitting to my left, asked, as she practically stuffed a handful of melon in my face.

"Thank you," I chuckled as she leaned over and put the fruit in my mouth. She had barely placed it in my mouth before I practically choked, stopping myself from spitting out the food before I swallowed it whole and grabbed my glass of water.

Lulu and Margot were laughing hysterically, as Stefani snorted at my reaction and took another bite of her omelette.

"What in the world did you put on that!" I coughed, knowing very well that I had been duped by my own daughters.