Chapter 1

~ I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly then all at once.~

- Hazel Grace -

- The Fault in Our Stars -

* * * * *

She walked down the aisle, her head hung low, clutching the sides of her heavy lehenga, not because she was shy like a typical bride would be on her wedding day. She was controlling her tears. She never knew her life would take a huge turn like this in just a few hours. She was not supposed to be marrying him. All that she knew was that she landed in Mumbai that morning after finally completing her MBA in London, and now, she was getting married to a man chosen by her family. It was supposedly her cousin, Gauri's wedding with Shivaay Singh Oberoi. Gauri was supposed to walk down the aisle, but now she was doing it in the place of her cousin. 

She was made to sit next to the man. Her tears began to betray her eyes and drop down. One drop at a time hit her lehenga and was instantly absorbed into the fabric. With every passing minute, her heartbeat was getting more erratic. She just hoped that her parents would stop the wedding. Someone, anyone at all, but no one did.

The honour of the family name matters more than the happiness of the daughter!

Her mind taunted her entire family. But, she can't even hate them. They were all helpless. No one had expected Gauri to reveal the fact that she was pregnant to the entire family and Shivaay Singh Oberoi just minutes before they were supposed to walk down the aisle. The baby wasn't his of course. It was of Om's, Gauri's boyfriend. On that very instant, she was disowned by our grandfather and thrown out of the house. When the whole Trivedi clan was grieving over their buried honour and pride, Jhanvi Singh Oberoi, Shivaay's mother had unceremoniously declared that no matter what, the wedding has to go on and any of the Trivedi girls must be the replacement bride. When the hunt for the perfect replacement began, all fingers pointed out Annika. She was the eldest grand-daughter in the Trivedi clan and the most qualified one as well, to be branded as Shivaay Singh Oberoi's wife. What was her wish, no one was bothered to ask. Not even her own mother. They all had mutually decided what was best for her.

As they take the nuptial rounds around the holy fire, Annika felt herself stumbling and was about to hit the ground when a pair of strong arms grabbed her from the back, preventing her from falling. It was her husband in making.

"Are you okay?" His hoarse, concerned voice came. Annika couldn't see his face, but his concern was evident through the voice.

"I'm fine!"

She continued the final nuptial round. Then, after several other mantras which took forever, the priest asked him to put the nuptial chain around her neck and fill her hairline with vermilion. When he brought his hand towards her neck, her tear drop fell on the back of his palm. His heart panged with guilt, but there was nothing he could do at that moment except for continuing the wedding ceremony. He filled her hairline, with a much heavy heart and they were pronounced as husband and wife.

Annika nervously fidgetted with the edge of her dupatta as she waited for her few hours old husband to enter their honeymoon suite. Annika had personally checked the suite out a few hours ago, wanting it to be perfect for the newly weds and secretly wishing that her first night suite should also be decorated the same way. Little did she knew that her wish would be granted that quick. She smirked at the game of fate and destiny in her life.