Chapter Ten

"I'm so sorry about the other day. I'm trying." Stiles says to Scott, sitting on the stairs in the hall. "We'll get through this. I know, because I love you. I love you more than-oh-my-god." I burst out laughing, unable to contain it anymore. "I can't do this. You and Allison need to find a better way at communicating."

"Why didn't you do it then, Claire?" Scott says in amusement.

"No way in hell was I going to get in the middle of that. You two make a lovely couple." I say, laughter close to my voice and Stiles rolls his eyes before grabbing my hands, bringing me in close to sit on his lap. I wrap my arms around his neck and he wraps his arms around my waist, as we smile at each other.

"Okay, the cuteness of you two aside, you guys are the only ones we can trust. Is she coming to the game tonight?"

"Yes!" Stiles says extravagantly. "Message complete. Now tell us about your boss." His boss? Deaton? What's happening there?

"He thinks Allison's family keeps some kind of record of all the things they've hunted. Like a book."

"That must be a bestiary." I nod my head in agreement to Stiles.

"I think you mean bestiality." Scott says, making me laugh.

"No, I'm pretty sure I don't."

"Scott." I start. "Bestiality is a human having sexual intercourse with an animal. A bestiary is like an encyclopedia of mythical creatures."

"Well, I was way off. How am I the only one who doesn't know this stuff?" Me during Lacrosse games. I chuckle and shake my head.

"Okay, you're my best friend." Stiles says. "You're a creature of the night. It's kind of a priority of mine."

"And I'm always at Stiles' house, so he tells me everything, anyway." I shrug.

"Okay." Scott processes the information before carrying on; "If we can find it, and it can tell us what this thing is..."

"And who." Stiles cuts in before Stiles and Scott look at each other and say in sync; "We need that book."

*****************

Stiles and I stand in front of Allison, who sits on a bench outside the school and we're slightly tired due to running out here to tell her our new discovery.

"I think you mean..." Allison starts before Stiles cuts her off.

"No, I mean bestiary. And you two, I don't want to know what goes on inside your head." Stiles references to her and Scott and I can't help but laugh a little again, before speaking up to Stiles.

"Why not? It was hilarious watching you declare your love to Scott. Allison, our men found love with each other." I say through laughter and Allison looks at me with amusement. However, she quickly composes herself.

"Okay. Describe this thing you were talking about."

"It's probably an old book, worn." Stiles says quickly with adrenaline.

"Like leather bound?"

Next thing I know, Stiles and I are racing across school grounds, towards Scott who's still sitting on the stairs.

"Yes." I say, slightly having difficulty filling my lungs with air. "Seen her grandfather - with a book like that."

We then quickly race back to Allison with a question from Scott.