VIII

Arthur hurries towards Ava's room. How can this be possible? He is grateful if the rumors are true, but it can't be. He opens the door to her room to not see her.

"Ava?" She pokes her head around the folding panel. The prince averts his eyes. "I see you're better."

"Yeah. I don't know how, but I woke up feeling new."

She walks out from behind the wooden panels, pushing her red curls over her shoulder. She has her dagger strapped around her waist while wearing a simple, light grayish-blue dress. She looks more alive than yesterday.

"Was anyone here last night?" He asks. She shakes her head after taking a moment to think. There has to be a way to explain her miraculous healing. Most likely magic, but how and why would it be possible? A knight comes in and bows.

"I'm sorry my lord," he states, "but news has traveled that the blacksmith has healed from the disease as well."

Arthur barely even says goodbye to his friend before rushing out of her chambers. He hurries through the castle to the market. Gwen's father is hard at work reparing a sword. The man is the best at his job, but Arthur needs to stop him if there is witchcraft. But he hopes not.

"I heard you were sick yesterday," Arthur states. The blacksmith stops his job before turning towards the prince.

"Yes sire, I was."

"And now you're all better?"

"Yes sir."

This doesn't make sense. But neither does Ava getting better.

"Is it possible you were sick with something else?"

"No. I felt Death breathing on me."

"Was anyone with you?"

"Just my daughter, Gwen."

The blond warrior nods his head before he motions for his men to follow. The group hurries towards Gwen's home. Arthur opens the door and the knights enter the small home. Every man start searching through the room for hints of magic use. One knight flips over a pillow and pull out a glowing poultice. Well that is enough evidence to convict Gwen.

Morgana and Ava hurry down the halls before heading towards the throne room. Both ladies were together when they heard the news of Gwen's arrest. Ava had got rid of the poultice, assuming it was because of Merlin. But Gwen and her father wouldn't have known to look for it. The two ladies arrive to the trial. Poor Gwen's on her knees, crying.

"How can you believe she's a witch?" Ava snaps the moment she enters. Arthur steps over to keep her from lashing out at the king. Morgana took a more polite, reasonable attempt.

"How could she be a witch? I've seen her work day in and day out. Why would someone with magic do that?"

Uther thinks for a moment. Some how he comes to a conclusion of lighting the poor girl on fire. Ava has to be pushed out of room to keep her from yelling at the king. Arthur looks at her once the two are out of the throne room.

"You can't just let this happen to her," the red head shrieks.

"This is only going to make it worse," the prince states.

"Why did you arrest her?" Arthur tries to respond, but can't. "She is innocent."

"I am sorry, but there was too much evidence against Gwen."

Ava looks him directly in the eyes. Morgana comes over and drags the lady away.