XI

Ava puts on her chainmail before sheathing the sword on her side. Her hair is up in a messy bun to keep it out of her face. Grabbing her satchel, she hurries towards the throne room.

"You are not going, and that is final," Uther shouts. Ava stops and backs against the wall.

"Would the people of Camelot want to follow someone who cares about everyone, or a coward?" Arthur snaps back.

"You are forbidden to go."

Arthur storms out, and Ava follows.

"I'm still going," he says. "We should leave before Father can stop us."

The two warriors hurry out to the stables. Ava puts a sadle on her white mare. The two hurry out of Camelot and go towards the forest. The two continue to ride towards the cavern where the much needed flower grows. Eventually the young Pendragon stops at the sight of the young woman sitting on a log. Her arm is bleeding and the bottom of her dress is shredded. The prince hops off his horse and hands Ava the reigns. He catiously walks over towards the woman.

"Are you okay miss?" He asks. She looks up at the two.

"Yes. I'm sorry. My master was abusing me so I ran. I got lost and don't know how to get home."

Ava slides off of her horse and tie them to the tree.

"I would lead you, but we are on an urgent mission to get a specific flower."

"The one in the dark caves? I know where they are."

"I thought you said you were lost," Ava questions.

"I have wandered enough to know where the caves are."

Ava nods her head. She doesn't have time to process it before a mutated lizard steps out of the shadow. It is as tall as Arthur with disgusting coloured skin. The two draw their swords and go to attack the creature. It was almost a coordinated dance with the two fighters. The creature manages to knock the prince's sword out of his hand.

Ava tosses her's and he catches it with ease. While the red head goes for the fallen blade, the blond prince destracts the monster. Ava slides underneath and stab the lizard in the stomach. Rolling out while dragging the blade through the scaly flesh, she gets out from under the dying beast.

"That wasn't too bad," Ava jokes as they exchange swords. Arthur rolls his eyes as he puts his sword up. They turn towards the woman.

"You said you know the way?" The lady asks. The woman nods her head. "Then lead the way."

The three start walking through the woods until they arrive at the caves. After lighting some torches, they start moving through the dark caves. The woman clearly knows where she is going. She stops in one major cavern.

"There they are," she states, pointing out some flowers. Arthur inspects the deep plunge below while Ava keeps an eye on the maiden. As the prince starts moving towards the ledge, the woman starts muttering. Slowly she gets louder and louder.

"What are you doing?" He asks. The path crumbles under his feet, causing him to lunge to safety. Ava gets pushed, causing her to grab the ledge for safety. While the woman taunts the future king, she presses her heel into the lady's hand. She soon leaves, leaving them in the dark.

"You okay, Ava?" She hears.

"Oh you know, just hanging in there."

A blue light arrives, making it easier for to climb up. The thing is, she hears Merlin encouraging her to get to safety. Arthur shouts at it at first before getting up. Ava leaps over, letting Arthur grab her hand to steady her. The two spot the approaching arachnids. The prince starts pushing her up the exit while he grabs the flower. They hurry climbing up and then to their horses. They ride with great speed towards the palace.

~~~~

The two arrive at the gates only to be stopped.

"Let me through," Arthur orders. The guard stands tall.

"Prince Arthur, you are under arrest by the orders of the king."

Arthur looks at his companion, getting off his horse. Ava hops down, grabbing his hand when he starts to walk off. They exchange a silent glance before he pulls away. The knights leave her alone. Her and the flower. She rushes towards the healer's house. Once she bursts in, she gives the plant to Gaius. Ava looks at her friend. His cheeks are sunken in and covered in sweat. She hurries by his side, next to Gwen.

"We might have to use magic," the healer thinks out loud. The serving maid looks shocked at the notion.

"That's not allowed."

"No your right. I need fresh water."

Gwen hurries out with a flask. Gaius mashes the plant before handing Ava the bowl. She looks at him in confusion.

"You know the spell," he whispers. She racks her brain to figure out what he means. Only one does she remember from her childhood. She closes her eyes, concentrating on the words. The spell spills from her lips. It grows warm quickly and stops. Shock over takes her. How is this possible? Gaius takes this and water which Gwen just brought, mixing them together. Ava opens the young sorcorer's mouth while Gwen pulg his nose. Gaius pours it in his mouth. His chest stops rising. Gaius places his ear on his chest.

"His heart stopped."

Gwen starts crying, causing the healer to try and comfort her. Ava, not wanting to believe it, lays her head on his chest. Just silence. That is until there is a faint beat.

"You could be her grandfather," Merlin weakly jokes. Ava sits up in shock.

"You're alive," she cries before pressing her lips against his. When she realizes what she done, she pulls away. Both turn bright red. "I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me."

"D-don't be," he responds.