XXXIII

Ava wakes up to find that Arthur had left for a hunt of a creature that's killing people. She gets dressed yellow and white dress before hurrying down towards market. Just when she gets down the stairs she's greeted by a terrible scene. Uther is carrying a limp body. As he collapses onto his knees, knights come to grab it. This gives a perfect sight of the face. The face of the future king.

"No," she screams, a sob breaking through. A knight grabs her to prevent her from running towards her half-brother "No."

The knights carry him up to the castle,most likely towards his room. Tears start running down her face as she manages to break free from the metallic grip. She hurries to Arthur's chambers where they're laying him on the bed. Uther and Gaius comes in, the older man cleaning the bite on his arm.

The king holds the young maiden as she cries. Why? Of all people, why? She would have jumped in front of him if she had the chance. Maybe that's why he didn't take her. Maybe he knew. Once Gaius leaves, Ava and Uther each sit on the opposing sides of the prince. She pulls her dagger out from her belt and place it in his hand, leaning close to his ear.

"Fight the bastard, Death," she pleas. "I can't loose you too. Fight."

~~~

As time passes, Ava refuses to leave his side. She fell asleep next to the bed, exhausted because of crying. A hand places itself on her shoulder, waking her up. She automatically jumps, seeing Arthur awake. She lunges, wrapoing her arms around him.

"I thought I lost you," she cries.

"Ava. This hurts."

She pulls away, apologizing. He hands her the dagger back.

"I heard what you said. No way would I let that bastard take me just yet."

"Thank you."

Her brother tells her to go to her room and get proper rest. Apparently he has been fine for about twelve hours now, but decided she needed the sleep. Agreeing, she leaves him be, being stopped by Merlin.

"Ava," he says, pulling her towards a corner. "I want to say goodbye. I need to help my mother."

"When will you be back?"

Instead of verbally responding, he pulls her into a kiss. It's quick one. Just enough to let her know the answer. He leaves her, going to Arthur's room. No way is she ltting him die. She runs to her room to change into trousers and blouse. Pulling on a pair of boots, she grabs her cloak and head out. She whips on the fabric as she follows Merlin.

He heads inside his house. Less than a minute later, he runs out. She follows behind him. When he gets a horse, she calls for her's. She tries to keep up as he hurries towards his destination. Soon they arrive at a lake where he gets into a sall boat. It floats off into a fog, leaving her on the bank.

She waits for it to come back before hopping in it. The wooden vessal glides on its own acrosd the water. Soon an old stone building comes in sight. The boat floats under a tunnel, dispensing her at a stair case. She sees Nimueh and Merlin fighting while Gaius is laying against a wall. Nimueh casts a spell, sending the less experienced sorceror flying back.

"No," she cries, running over towards him. She drops on her knees. "Please don't be dead." She presses her ear against his chest, hearing nothing. "Please. I love you."

His eyes fly open as he takes a moment to readjust himself. He quickly gets up and casts a spell, killing Nimueh. A storm forms above them during the spell. Rain starts pouring down. He rushes over towards Gaius, begging for him to be alive. Sure enough, the older man is. Ava walks over to the podium in the center, looking at it.

"Ava," Merlin calls over the downpour, pulling her closer. "I love you too. I know why you ended it, but both of us can handle ourselves."

He leans down and presses his lips against hers. She wraps her arms around his neck deepening the kiss.

"I hate to break up the moment," Gaius calls towards them. "But best be off to Camelot."

The two younger people break away, laughing. Merlin holds her close, not letting her go this time.