XXXII

Merlin sits at the table, running through everything in his head. Morgana wants to kill Uther. There is a possible assassination. Gwen lost his father. So much at once that it could drive anyone insane. Only he can save Uther, but that means letting the murderer of Tom live. Then there's thing on Morgana being the one to come up with it.

If only he could focus on that though. Every second that he isn't thinking of that, he thinks of Ava. How his heart broke as she said those words. Yet he knows it would be harder for her if he argued.

"Are you alright?" Gaius asks, drawing him out of his prison of a mind.

"Yeah," he responds, placing the spoon down. He stands up. "I should get to work."

He prepares to open a door when Gaius pipes up.

"That's the broom closet."

He quickly connects with what he said. The dark hair youth quickly hurries out of the home and towards the dragon's lair. Maybe he can help Merlin sort out at least one of his problems.

~~~

Ava practices her lounge, stabbing thw maniquin. News spread a few days ago on how Morgana saved Uther. Truly some worthy news. Uther even cleared Tom's name so no one remembers him as a traitor.

Ava continues with various attacks, trying to combat a headache. She hasn't slept for a few days, nor does she want to. Merlin has join all the others in her dream, and it kills her to see him. She keeps reminding herself what she did was the smarter choice. So why does she feel she's in the wrong? She refuses to take back her words. It's probably better. Uther wouldn't even approve of such a relationship.

"I think you need someone for a challenge," she hears. Ava turns to see Arthur ready to practice. Behind him is Merlin, trying not to make eye contact with her. She directs herbgaze at the prince, faking a smile.

"I was just finishing up. Thank you though."

She puts the sword up, before heading off to the castle. She picks up her pace, trying to avoid looking at him. It still feels like a blade going through her heart. She starts wandering around the castle. She finds herself in the throne room. Sitting in his seat is Uther, contemplating something.

"Ava," he smiles. "I actually have been considering to tell you something."

"Yes my king?"

He stands up, seeming unsure of himself.

"You know how for awhile, my wife couldn't bear a child," he starts. She nods her head. "Well your parents and I had a deal. If an heir wasn't born soon, we would try for a child of the two houses."

She freezes, not able to fully comprehend what he is saying.

"By the time Ygraine found out she was pregnant, we had already set the plan in motion."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"I feel it is wrong to not let my daughter know the truth."

It starts becoming harder to breathe. This can't be. She is Ava Grayson, last of her name. Not a Pendragon.

"So you're saying that Arthur is my brother?" The king nods his head. "Does he know?"

"No. I was unsure how to tell him."

Her head starts spinning, trying to process it. This just flips the world upside down.

"Why did no one tell me?" She manages.

"Because when it was clear Arthur was going to be born, we swore to secrecy. Waiting to tell the two of you."

Well this changes the way she looked at things.