Chapter 1

On a fine spring day in Chicago, Agent Cody Alexander was sitting in his apartment, waiting for a phone call for his next mission. He's 23 and should technically be in college right now, but he dropped out a while ago and thankfully found a job. Suddenly...

*RING* *RING* *RING*

Speaking of the devil....

"Hello?" he answered into the phone.

"Agent Cody, there's a new mission for you. I need you to fly to New York immediately. I'll be sending another agent to do this mission with you. He'll be meeting you there. Check your email. All your flight information is on there" they said and hung up.

"Well okay then" he mumbled to himself. He got up and went to his laptop. Sure enough, there was an email from his boss.

Agent,
We are opening a case from 6 years ago that hasn't been solved yet. It's up to you to go to New York and solve it. All of the evidence is attached to the email. I'll be sending an agent to help you with this case, Malachi Brock. Also attached to the email is your flight. Good luck.

Cody walked down the hall and started packing. He then walked out the door, locked up and took an Uber to the airport. In the airport, he read over the information he got. The evidence didn't exactly add up, but he saw things that kind of made sense. His flight number was called and he boarded the plane.

=====

Cody landed in Syracuse, New York. He took an Uber to a small coffee shop. He knew this coffee shop was safe because all the baristas are also part of the same spy agency.

After getting a cup of coffee, he sat down across from Malachi and set his laptop down on the table.

"So, what evidence do you have?" Malachi asked.

"It says that Carson and Allie were murdered at 6:17 pm on Tuesday, March 17, 2013. Their daughter MJ wasn't in the house when police came, so they assumed she was kidnapped because the security footage from a few hours before shows that all 3 of them were playing a board game and then watching TV. At 6 pm, 17 minutes before the murder, all security cameras were disabled, and police found the cords cut. They asked neighbours to explain what they heard or possibly saw that night. Most people were not home, and the rest had very vague explanations."

"Then who was the one who called the police?"

"That person said that he heard a gunshot that came from that house and two people run out from there, but wasn't able to describe their figures because he didn't have his glasses on."

"Alright. Carry on."

"The police didn't find anything that would help. Eventually, they gave up. The new evidence that came up was about MJ. There's supposedly someone who would look exactly like her today if she's still alive. But first, we need to go to their house, which is abandoned, to see if there's anything still there. Then we'll go to Auburn," Cody said.

"Wait, why are we going to Auburn?"

"To actually see if she's still alive."

"Ah I see. Let's go."

=====

On a street, there was a house. The house. It was abandoned after the incident because no one wanted to live in a house where two people were murdered. On the outside, it still looked alright. It was painted white, and in some parts it was grey. Cody walked right in.

Inside, he saw pieces of furniture in random places, a lot of dust, a few broken windows and more. Malachi walked in and immediately tripped over a piece of wood that was on the ground.

"I'm okay," he said, while lying on the ground.

Cody went into the kitchen, the living room and the family room, while Malachi went into the laundry room, the downstairs washroom and the garage. Both boys found nothing.

"Let's go upstairs," Malachi whispered. Cody nodded.

They slowly walked up the creaky stairs. Their flashlights shining in the dark hallway. Cody walked into the first room, the master bedroom. Meanwhile, Malachi went into the guest bedroom, MJ's old bedroom, and the office.

"There's nothing here," Malachi said when the two boys met up in the hallway.

"You're right, this was pointless. Get in the car. We're leading to Auburn."