Chapter 2

After meeting up with the person who "found" the person that looks like MJ, and practically interrogating people, they arrived at the house where MJ supposedly lives now.

Cody knocked on the door. A girl who was around 13 or 14, with brown hair that was looked like it used to be dip dyed red, and wore glasses opened the door.

"Uh... hi. Can I help you?" she said.

"Yes. My name is Cody Alexander, and this is Malachi Brock. We're investigating a murder that happened 6 years ago, and it has led us here. Are you MJ?"

The girl immediately grabbed Cody by the collar and shoved him against the wall.

Malachi ran over to help. "Come any closer and I'll do this to you too," she said, and as soon as she said that, she kneed Cody in the balls. She eventually let go of Cody and he fell to the ground.

"What in the Jumpin' Jehoshaphat was that for?" Cody said and groaned in pain.

"No one has called me by that name in years," she said.

"So, you are MJ," Malachi said.

"No, really," she said with sarcasm. "No one knows me as MJ. They know me as Jessa."

"You changed your name?"

"Well yeah. I needed to stay as anonymous as possible. The whole situation I was in was already as it was. I couldn't take anymore risks. Come in and I'll explain the whole thing," she said. The three of them walked into the house.

"Jessa! Who was at the door?"

"These two dudes who I have something to explain stuff to," Jessa said.

Two women walked out of the kitchen. "Who are these people?"

"That's Cody, and that's Malachi. Cody, Malachi, that's my mamoo Darcy and my mamacita Harlow. They are my parents."

"Nice to meet you two," Darcy said. "I don't mean to be rude but who are you and why are you here?"

"They are here as part of an investigation, and I now realize I have to explain the whole situation to all of you," Jessa said.

"Wait, investigation? Jessa, what is going on?" Harlow asked.

"Just let me explain it."

After getting some tea, Jessa, Darcy, Harlow, Cody and Malachi sat down in the living room. Jessa took a deep breath and started talking.

"No one knows about my past, except for a few people who technically committed a crime by withholding information. Here's the full story..."

Flashback

It was a normal day in the Lopez household. The 3 members of this small family were watching a movie peacefully, when dark figures started surrounding their home.

"MJ, run upstairs and hide in your room right now. Don't move, and don't make any noise," the young girl's father said. She did as she was told and shut the door behind her. As soon as she did, the front door was broken down. The young girl, who was a smart 7-year-old, decided to hide in the closet. When she was in there, she grabbed a small backpack and shoved some clothes in there. She heard footsteps downstairs, so she made sure to work quickly but also quietly. She froze when she heard a gunshot and her mother's scream from downstairs. Then there was another gunshot.

MJ decided to go out the window as there was a tree there. She quietly opened the window and slowly stepped out. She clung onto the tree as if her life depended on it. She heard police sirens coming closer. One of her neighbours must've called the police. She eventually got onto the ground and ran. She didn't stop. She got far enough to look back, and saw the figures leave the scene. In her head, she swore that she'll never have anything to do with this case. She continued to run. Until her legs couldn't run anymore. She ended up passing out in the on a bench in a small park.

The next day, she woke up and started walking in an unknown direction again. Within a few days, she noticed a story going around. She read a newspaper that was left on a park bench and realized that the story was about how her own parents were murdered. On top of that, she was reported missing. She slumped down on the bench and started crying. A girl who was around 18 sat down beside her.

"Are you okay?" the teenage girl said to MJ.

"No, I'm not," MJ said.

"What happened? And where are your parents?"

"Do you promise to not tell a single soul?" The older girl nodded. "The short explanation is that my parents are dead and I'm supposedly missing."

The girl just stared at her. "Y-You're the kid that-" MJ immediately covered her mouth with her hand.

"Don't say another word," MJ said. "I'll explain the whole thing in a private place."

"Okay."

The two girls eventually went to the teenager's house. MJ learned that her name is Gianna and she's a university student. MJ explained everything to her and by the end, both were in tears.

"I think I know what to do," Gianna spoke up. "I have a friend who will be able to help us. Then from there I have a plan."

"It sounds like your plan might be illegal. If it does work out, wouldn't you go to jail?"

"Technically it is, but it's also illegal for you to be running from this."

"Touché," MJ said.

"I'm going to make some phone calls. Go to the spare bedroom and get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow morning," Gianna said.

MJ walked to the spare bedroom and flopped onto the bed. She fell asleep almost instantly, while Gianna was calling people who might be able to help.

The next morning, the girls had a plan in action. First, MJ needed a fake name, so they quickly came up with one. Jessa Serenity. And Gianna's friend was going to pretend that she was MJ's mom who was going to give her up for adoption. They were going to meet up later. When MJ gets dropped off at the orphanage, they will tell the orphanage person about the plan. Is all this illegal? Absolutely.

Thankfully, the plan worked, and MJ eventually got adopted by Darcy Silvester and Harlow Cooper.