Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

The first few weeks back to school are nearly impossible without Alexander's help. I use my portable scanner to record the notes and I attempt to take notes blindly. Alexander meets up with me and helps me go through everything so that I don't fall too far behind in classes. The day that I finally come home and find the package, I start to cry before ripping the box open and pulling out my new frames.

As I slip them onto my face, I mentally relax but my eyes are not pleased with the sudden change. I try to ignore the throbbing pain that is building behind my eyes and finish my homework. I eventually finish up and lay down. It is almost eight o'clock and dad still hasn't returned. I should eat something, but the throbbing makes it difficult to do anything. After a while, I pass out on my bed and wake up the next morning feeling disoriented. I go through my morning routine without my glasses on and it only dawns on me as I am trying to pack the textbooks I need, that I can't read.

The headache is less intense as days go by and slowly, I get used to taking time to wear and not wear my glasses. Days turn into weeks and before I know it my school is on winter break. On my first day off, I resume working at Voyager and I am surprised at how much I missed being there. I work diligently on finishing up the prototype for my boots and finalize the blueprints for my larger version of the Arlington five thousand.

"Well look what the cat dragged in," a familiar voice draws from behind me. I can't help but smile.

"If it isn't Alexander Caspian," I say in a dramatic voice and he chuckles.

"Can you tear yourself away from your work long enough to give your best friend a hug?" He asks teasingly, and I put down my tools and walk over and give him a hug. He has become my best friend, we get coffee, decaf, of course, at least every other week and most days I forget that technically he is my manager. He rests his chin on top of my head and I can't help but wonder as to why.

"What are you up to?" Alexander asks taking a seat across from me.

"Finishing up these blueprints," I say going back to work.

"Hey Aviva, can I ask you a personal question?" Alexander asks, and I nod.

"Whatever happened to your mom?" He asks.

"I don't know the details; I just know that she died in an accident when I was three of four. My dad doesn't like to talk about it..." I say. The dream I had months ago of me being a child watching my parents argue pops into my head, but I ignore it.

"Are you busy after work?" Alexander asks me.

"Nope, I just need to get something to eat because I am starved," I say smiling.

"Well how about we go out and get something to eat and then I can show you what I found," he says.

I notice that there is something off in his tone. It almost sounds like he is nervous in away. I look up again and I see him giving me a calculating look and I can feel the energy and motion of his leg bouncing up and down. I focus my full attention on him and then I notice that his heart is racing.

"Alexander, why are you so nervous? What did you find out?" I ask, and he sighs.

"That's not the part I am nervous about," he grumbles.

"We've gone out to eat a million times together," I say confused.

"I was hoping this time could be different," he says, and my eyes cue in on the faint color change in his cheeks.