Chapter 5

"Do you have a date yet?" I ask Maggie as we look at the stores of the mall.

"No. I have someone in mind that I might ask if he doesn't ask me first though," She smiles at me.

"What about you, Tim? Anybody you plan on asking?"

"Yeah. I'm thinking of a way. Just have to perfect it."

"Who is the lucky lady?" I nudge his shoulder.

"I will let you know about that when the time comes. I want to know about you and your date. Are you going with Ollie?"

I smile at the name Tim already gave him, "He hasn't asked yet. We've been together for two weeks so I'm not going to hold him to it."

"Speak of the devil," Maggie points ahead. I see Oliver walking over to us. I smile and walk over to him.

"Ah, I heard my girl was off her crutches. I had to come check her out myself though," He picks me up into a tight hug.

"Yeah. I am. At least my arms aren't super sore anymore. They're getting better. What are you really doing here?"

"Ouch. I'm hurt, Cher. Did you forget about our date tonight?" He puts his hand over his heart as though he'd been shot.

"Wait, seriously!? I'm so sorry. Uh, okay sorry," I press my hand to my forehead. "Sorry!"

"Maggie, I'm kidding!" He laughs. "I have a surprise for you though. All of you."

"That wasn't nice," I shove his arm lightly before he takes my hand in his. "C'mon guys. Let's see what he has in store for us today."

We follow Oliver to the theater part of the mall, "I already paid," Oliver winks at the person in the ticket booth. He nods and motions for us to enter. I look at the title of the movie we're going to 'All of This for You' it says. I don't think I remember seeing a trailer or anything, but the theater is packed.

"Ashton and his girl saved us spots in the middle area," Oliver says. I see Ashton wave us over. He gives Oliver a 'bro hug' and me a hug before sitting down again.

About five minutes later the lights dim and the screen turns on. "I used security and spectator footage for this video. I am not a creep, I promise" A few people laugh at the screen, but I just smile.

The screen changes to a bright green soccer field. There are two teams playing, they happen to be mine and Oliver's. It zooms into us glaring at each other on the field as the second half begins.

Audio picks up, "The first time I met you, it was on the soccer field. It was a game at my school and you were a starter. Our team didn't think a girl should start. You did pretty good... for the only girl on your team that year." I watch as my team hoists me up on their shoulders, Ashton screaming his head off in our defeat. "Quite a bit better than me."

"The next time I saw you, you had just gotten into a car accident and managed to drag yourself out of the car. I called 911 and tried to keep you awake as the ambulance was on its way. It got there and I didn't know if I'd ever play against you again." The screen shows him waiting in the middle of the road as an officer asked questions.

"I didn't know if I would ever see you again, but I hoped that I would. About three and a half weeks later, I saw you in the mall. You were struggling to get your arm low enough over your brace." It shows me kick my shoe off and him bend down and help me, talk to me.

"This is what I'm thankful for and I am so glad that you gave me a chance even if it was a bad time for you. I just have one more thing to ask of you... Prom?"

I look over at Oliver as he stands there with a goofy grin spelled across his face, "Well, of course!"

"Look at that," Ashton says once we're all gathered in the middle of the mall. "Maggie and Tim, you are gonna be going with us all right?"

They both nod.

"Yes, yes. You both need dates for this still," I press my hands together in admiration. "Maybe by then I won't even need this stupid brace."

"You might not," Ashton hums, uncertainty filling his voice.

***

Later that day, Maggie and I are looking at dresses for prom.

"Hm, should I get this one?" I laugh as I point to a pretty ugly dress.

"Wait! I wanted that one, Cher!" She laughs at me. There's a knock at the front door, I uncross my legs and get up to go get it.

"Ashton? What are you doing here?"

"Why aren't you wearing your brace?"

"I'm trying to go without it."

"Go put it on please."

"You can't tell me what to do, Ashton. You aren't my father, you aren't Ben, and you sure aren't my boyfriend. You can't just saunter in here and demand me to-"

"Shut your damn mouth for once in your life," He cuts me off and presses his lips to mine. I start to kiss him back, but when he grabs my waist I pull away.

"Stop. I... I have a boyfriend. I shouldn't have done that. It's all my fault."

He sighs and rubs his hands over his face, "You just don't get it. Do you?"

"I'm sorry," I say when he turns his back and walks to the door.

He looks back, "You're right, you can do what you want. I have no control over you. Go without your brace if you want." Then, he walks out. I feel hot tears running down my face only to be pulled out of my thoughts by the sound of my phone ringing.

"Hey, Cher here," I say.

"I need help asking Maggie out to prom," Tim says.

I only posted this because I was so behind and I was going to post more, but I didn't have any time since I am going to be gone this weekend without my precious computer. Fear not, I will bring a notebook and pen to keep writing and I will be going through and editing everything. I might post tomorrow, but no promises. 

Schedule

Tuesday, January 1, 2019 - Chapter 6