Goodnight

Chapter Three

Goodnight

I’d finally finished packing; I zipped my suitcase with a sigh and looked around my oddly bare room. I wore a sad smile as I relived some of my most precious memories. I walked around, my hand gently skimming each surface as I went along. My bookshelf looked ghostly against the cream walls, as it stood isolated and alone. It was made of beautiful polished oak wood; it was small, only fitting about one hundred books, but that wasn’t why I loved it. It was my first ever book shelf, I kept it close at heart but with consequences of remembering a painful past.

     I shove that thought from my mind. “No,” I tell myself angrily, “Today is going to be a good day, a happy day” I continue to say. My hand automatically reaches for the silver handle that I know so well, my hand shook when I opened the drawer expecting to find the penknife, it sat there, waiting. ‘No Skye, you were for months. Don’t start now.’

I slammed it shut and quickly compose myself. “No more” I say out loud, “I am new, I am strong and I am brave” I took a deep breath and continued to scan the room. My vision started to go blurry after a while as a stray tear leaked down my face. I blinked rapidly and wiped it away just as the door rang. I glanced at the mirror I wasn’t taking with me and put on the biggest fake smile I could muster. The bell rang again before I screamed “COMING!!!” my voice might have broken the window, it was so loud. I ran, almost tripping over my own feet, and yanked the door open. Emmy stood there looking stunning in only a hoodie and jeans. Her hair was sloppily tied in a ponytail and she jumped on me. Literally. Her hair brushed my face as she strangled me in her embrace. “Emmy - can’t – breath” I managed to get out. She let go hastily.

“Sorry” she said, her eyes shining with tears.  I grabbed her by the shoulders and looked sternly in her eyes.

“Emmy, please don’t make this any harder than it already is. Please” I begged. She nodded and I turned around to get my bags. I heard her sniff but ignored it. I only had three, I decided to only bring my necessities and start fresh in England. I heave them to the door; sweat already forming on my brow. I was panting heavily. “They were so heavy” I complained. Emmy shook her head laughing.

“Skye, that was approximately two seconds away from your room” she said glancing over the couch that was only a few steps behind you.

“But they were heavy” I whined, pouting. Emmy looked at me and chuckled before she grabbed the bags like they were feathers. I felt my mouth drop and stared at her bewildered. She came back to get the last bag until she stopped in the doorway.

“Close your mouth” she said in a scolding voice “You’ll catch flies in there you know,” I was about to laugh at her feeble attempt to sound posh but instead I grabbed my keys and said goodbye to my one of the biggest parts of my life. I shut the door, not daring to look back in fear of any unwanted recollections.

     I sat in the passenger seat of Emmy’s car “Where are Sam and Aoife?” I ask accepting the piece of gum Emmy offered me.

“They’ll meet us at the airport, Aoife’s still packing” she said, eyes focused on the road. I nod slowly and my mind wandered independently, I thought of the trip, plus the fact that I have a fear of planes ever since… I screamed as ‘Love don’t die’ by the Fray,had started to play on the radio. Emmy almost crashed into a pole while avoiding the car in front of her. Cars beeped and she looked at me like I had two heads. “Sorry” I mumbled, “I just love this song.” She nodded but still looked slightly freaked out, glancing at me from time to time, and making sure I wasn’t doing anything mad. I decided I didn’t care and continued to sing the words softly to myself.