Interests

Chapter 8

Interests

“Jen, let’s go,” I said dragging her by the arm to HMV. I ran inside and looked around smiling. After WH Smith this was by far one of my favourite stores. I sprinted to the XBOX section and grabbed a shit load of games, “Which one?” I asked turning around to face Jen. Instead I saw Josh smiling. 

“This one,” he replied picking up Call of Duty: Ghost.

“Right” I said and went back to the shelves to return the other games, surprised that he has a good taste in games. I smiled and walked over to the counter.

 A bright purple box caught my eye and I stopped dead in my tracks to picked it up. Inside the box was a brand new set of Beats. They looked pristine and I knew I must have them. I checked the price after I tucked COD under my arm safely.

SALE: £95.99 ORIGINAL: £150 – WHAT? These are Headphones? 95.99? Are they kidding? What student has that much money to spare?  I pursed my lips and searched for a cheaper pair. All of them were multi-coloured, beautifully made and over-priced. I sulked as I walked over to a near-by shelf and picked up some headphones. They were £10 and crappy. Brilliant, it was the only pair I could afford along with my game. I dragged my feet all the way to the counter. “Hey” someone breathed in my ear.  “What’s wrong?”

I folded my arms and said in a strained voice. “Nothing.”

Josh didn’t look convinced. “I saw you with those Beats. Why’d you put them down?”

“Because I can’t afford them,” I cursed myself. ‘Why are you telling this worldwide famous actor about your financial problems, Skye? He won’t care!’

“Yeah, I knew there had to be some reason” and he walked off. I paid for COD but couldn’t bring myself to purchase this shitty thing known to the warped world as headphones. If I couldn’t have beats, I wouldn’t have any other.

                I sighed and slid the HMV bag on my arm along with the two WH SMITH bags. I was disappointed now, but all would be forgotten when I was absorbed into the murdering, morbid and wonderfully bloody ways of COD.

“You ready?” I asked Jen, who was surrounded by fans shouting for autographs and pictures.

“Yeah uh - one sec”

*10 minutes later*

“Finally” I said, I had been growing impatient, wanting to get back to my room and start playing. “Where’s Josh?”

“I thought he was with you” Jen said looking around. She didn’t seem that worried.

“I’m here!” I turned around and felt oddly relieved. He had an additional bag with him. 

“Oh cool,” I said like his sudden disappearance didn’t bother me, “What’ya get?”

“Something for a friend of mine” he said with a sly smile and wink. 

         I rolled my eyes but felt something snap inside. ‘Ignore it Skye!’ So, I did.

“Here I’ll drop you back” he said.

“Oh no, it’s fine really, it’s only about half an hours walk from here, I’ll be grand”

“Well, okay then but at least let me put your bags in your rucksack.”

“You don’t ha-” but he had already leaned forward and clutched the bags in his large hands. I heard the zip slowly open and close, and I turned around to thank him.

      “There” he whispered, I shivered.

“Thanks,” I said staring into his eyes.

“Uh…not to break up this little moment but…” Jen said and gave me a bone-crushing hug. “Today was super fun! WE HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN, NOT A QUESTION. WE. HAVE. TO!”

“Sure thing Jen” I said laughing “See ye later” I shouted over my shoulder while walking out of the automatic doors. I walked down the street, my mind straying from reality, me and Josh, together.

“Ow” I cried massaging my head after I walked into the pole, annoyed at being brought back into reality.