Him

Chapter 7

Him

I looked at myself in the mirror. A girl with curly brown hair stood facing me. Her t-shirt gathered tight around a round belly, with thighs that were thighs that were slightly chubby chubby and so bulged in her skinny jeans.ies.

I sighed and turned around. There was still an hour before my lecture so I trudged out of my room and down the endless hall. I’ve been here a week and I still don’t know my way around this place. I walked around almost blindly repeatedly telling myself to place one foot after the other. After around twenty minutes of wandering around I finally stumbled across the dining hall. Breakfast smells wafted through my nose; I was practically drooling at that point. I walked towards the far edge of the room and ordered my breakfast. “Hey, can I have scrambled eggs, three pieces of toast, some beans, a couple of sausages and a bowl of fruit please” I said happily.

The old woman behind the counter looked quite shocked. “I’m just kidding, a bowl of fruit is all.” She nodded and hurried to get it. I felt arms snake around my waist and I looked down disgusted. “Ugh, get you’re filthy logs of arms off me!” I heard ‘oohs’ from the crowd. “Oh shut up! You’re all acting like two year olds!” I turned around and saw the familiar icy blue eyes. “We meet again madam nice ass” Danny smirked still keeping his hands on me. “Just get off me now perv” I shrieked. He didn’t. I was getting really pissed. I bit my lip to stop myself from screaming at him, but I guess he took it the wrong way and pulled me closer. That crossed the line. I elbowed him in the stomach then kicked him in the balls. The woman behind the counter stood frozen on the spot, my bowl of fruit in her hands. “Thank you” I said taking it and walking out of the hall. I shoveled pieces of apple and grapes in my mouth as I walked out of the building. The sun shone bright and the grass green. It was strange for September; I expected rain, rain and more rain.

     A loud screech pulled me out of my train of thought. I looked up and saw I was standing (inconveniently) in the middle of the road. People were shouting at me from inside their cars and I hurried to the other side. “Sorry” I squeaked but no one heard me. I walked into the auditorium for the fourth time this week. I had lectures six days a week, two hours Mon-Wed in the morning, three hours Thu-Sat in the morning and an hour in the evening. I knew Uni would be hard, but this is fucking impossible. I heaved another sigh and pushed open the metal doors. “You’re late” a voice drawled from the other side of the room. “No, everyone else is early” I replied before taking my usual middle row seat. “Shut your mouth if you know what’s good for you Ms. Walters.” I rolled my eyes and ignored the Professor. I felt his glare like he was trying to see into my soul. Deep, I know. I should be a poet. Okay, sarcasm aside, the lesson dragged on. Every few minutes the Professor would compliment Danny on work and throw an insult my way. At 2 I was relieved of many facts trying to be pushed into my brain. I turned on my phone (I started to switch it off after the first day incident) I saw a new message from an unknown number.

To: Sarah

From: Unknown Number

Hey Skye, you free at half three to go shopping? Text me when you can!

From Jen xx

I started hyperventilating. This was a prank. Not real, Jennifer Lawrence didn’t really mean she wanted to hang out with me. Or maybe she did.

I ran back to my room and looked for an outfit. I spent an extra twenty minutes looking for something I thought suitable to wear than usual. In the end I decided on this. I texted Jen to say I was ready and she replied back in minutes.

To: Sarah

From: Jen

Kay, I’ll be at Westview Shopping Centre in the middle of town. C ya then :)

I grabbed my bag and shoved my phone, iPad and (of course) books. I was re-reading A Game Of Thrones and its size made it almost impossible to fit in my backpack. After a couple of minutes of trying to squish it into my bag I left the college, walking down the road in the sweet breeze. I inhaled the air, sighing at the wonderful country delights. It wasn’t long before I stumbled across the large; four-story building labeled ‘Westview Shopping District’. I glanced at my watch and saw it was only three so I decided to go check on the nearest bookstore. I shuffled inside and turned left into ‘WH Smiths’. I smiled and looked around, occasionally picking up two or three books at a time and scanning through the pages.  In the end I found three new books and purchased them at the counter. “Here you go,” a man said in a thick British accent. “That’s sex pound ninety-fife”

      “Excuse me?” I asked incredulous. I handed him a ten-pound note just to be sure. “Thanks” he said and handed me the change. I hurried off in search of somewhere to sit and start reading. I found a suitable bench not far from the entrance and was instantly engrossed into the story line. It wasn’t long before I felt a tap on the back. “Uh, hey.”

I looked up at who was talking to me. I saw stunning caramel eyes and his hair was a dirty blonde. He scratched the back of his neck. “Look Skye, I’m sorry I was a jerk…I was just…tense, look I’m a complete bastard for talking to you like that and, what I really want to say is sorry, and I know you’ll probably still hate me, I mean I’d still hate me too just um…” Josh stood there awkwardly; I put down my book and stood up. Before I could answer Jen jumped on his back, covering his eyes with her hands. “Guess who?” she said playfully.

“Jen, can’t – breath” he panted.

“Oops sorry” she giggled. “So watcha doing here Josh?”

Josh rolled his eyes. “You invited me here remember?”

“Um…right” she said nodding slowly.

“Hey Jen” I piped up behind him. Josh was eyeing me closely but I ignored it.

“SKYE!” she screamed and hugged me. I patted her on the back. I was always told I was a crappy hugger.

“You and Josh hmmm?” she asked winking. “NO!” we cried at the same time, “Friends just friends” I said looking at Josh who nodded, accepting I wasn’t angry with him anymore. Josh looked relieved and I’m pretty sure I know why. I guess he wasn’t used to being hated.

     Jen looked at us suspiciously but shrugged it off. “Alrighty then, let’s shop!” she called happily.

*

“Jennifer please no more” I groaned falling onto the nearest seat and massaging my foot.

“Oh please Skye just one more shop, look” she said pointing to forever 21.

“Jen” I said seriously holding a hand up at her “We’ve been in there twice already! It’s not like some magic truck is gonna fly in and restock the whole store in twenty minutes!”

Just then I heard the distance rumble of a truck engine. “Coincidence?” I murmured.

“The world does not run on coincidences”

“Then it’s magic”

“Don’t see no Hogwarts” Jen said clicking her fingers.

“That’s because of all the enchantments! Have you read Hogwarts a History?” And we both started laughing.

A/N: Hi guys! So I’d just like to point out Skye’s insecurities at the beginning of the chapter are because she’s suffering from body dimorphia, there’ll be more later. Hope you liked it!

Comment

Vote

Follow

-Sae x