prologue

Janet couldn't take the pain of sitting there, covered in blood, watching doctors rush in and out of the room of her summer love who was gunned down in Los Angeles

In the women's bathroom of the hospital, Janet looked into the mirror. She was numb. The one person, the only person, she'd ever really fell in love with was fighting for his life. She couldn't lose him, not another person so dear to her heart.

Replaying the times over the summer, the three months she was with him, June, July, August. She couldn't forget the huge argument they got into only a week before this day. They never spoke again after that point which was crushing her.

Remembering the argument and the words that were spoken, she broke down in front of the mirror. She covered her face, crying even more, dropping down onto the cold, tile floor. Her body was numb, it was so hard to stand, overthinking, he could be gone now and she couldn't even say she loved him for one last time while he was still breathing.

Minutes later, Janet found herself in a secluded room in the hospital. Usually where police interrogations were held. And there she was, sitting in the cold, metal chair in front of the cold metal table, crying her eyes out as the two detectives sat in front of her.

"I don't know nothing..." Janet managed to say in between crying.

"Miss Jackson, we are sure you may know something. You were close with Mr. Shakur, yes?" The female detective, Detective Gordon, spoke, before writing something on her pad.

"I was and I said I don't know nothin'." Janet's voice rose, she didn't want to be questioned nor ready to be questioned.

"Miss Jackson! Calm d—"

"No! Why am I being questioned when the man who did it is probably still out there! Question him!" Janet yelled, banging on the table.

"Okay, okay. Look, we understand you're upset but, we need you to calm down. You're not guilty of anything we just need help understanding." The male detective, Detective Perez, calmly spoke. Janet sat back in her seat with her arms crossed, taking a deep breath to calm down.

"What do you wanna know?"

"Tell us the events of this summer of 1996?"