Dream Girls

Keeping commenting and voting, I'll keep writing. Apologies for the rampant spelling and grammatical errors. Autocorrect and I have our issues. Suggestions are also welcome, I love reader feedback.

==============================================================================

I completely calmed down after a large mug of mint tea and a cookie. I didn't even ask for the tea he just knew to bring it. Friends like that are hard to find.

"I'm sorry I pushed you earlier Ellie. I guess I just got a bit ahead of myself." Matt says as he takes my plate and mug away. Best friends they really are the best.

" It's fine Matt, you were just caught up in the moment. Asking someone to be a parent isn't a little thing." I say as I curl back up under the blanket.

"It's still no excuse for how I acted." He says as he walks to the small kitchen.

"You just surprised me that's all." I half yell over my shoulder as I start to look for the book I had been reading before I called Matt over.

"So you will move in with me then?" He asks as he returns with two more steaming mugs of tea. He hands one to me then sits back down.

"I think it's a viable option, but can we talk about it later?" I say as I take a sip of my tea. "I need more time to think about it" I continue as I place the mug down on the table. Now where did I put that book?

"What is there to think about?" Matt asks as he reaches behind him and pulls out my book from between the sofa cushions. I lose everything down there, it's like some sort of gremlin or something just hordes my stuff down there.

"Thanks." I say as I take the book from him. There no bookmarker in it, oh well I guess the couch can keep it.

"Ellie, what more do you need to think about? The house is big, we already get along great. I don't see a problem." Matt says as he tries to find my bookmark.

Why won't he just let this go?

"We have to look at the future Matt. what if you meet the girl of your dreams and lose her because of me? I wouldn't want to be the reason why you stay a bachelor forever." A mental image of Matt at eighty telling the nurse how he almost had true love but have it up for his best friend.

"If she leaves because of our situation, our kids, then she's not my dream girl." He says as he pulls me into him again.

"Still... what if I meet someone?" I say as I look up at him. Yeah, like that would happen. Hello my name is Ellie I like books, the ocean and I love my twins. Their father? He's not in the picture, the man I live with? That's Matt, he's the twins adoptive/step father. No we're not in a relationship, it's a complex situation.

Any man with a brain would run away as fast as he could.

"I'll leave." Matt says as he refuses to meet my eyes.

"No. That's what I am talking about." I sit up and look him in the eyes. "I don't want to shake up the kids lives even more. They're going to have it hard enough without people moving in and out all the time."

"We'll adjust. Ellie you're my best friend and I would give up anything if it meant I wouldn't lose you." He says as I lay back down.

"Matt?" I ask as I curl up against him again and play with a loose string on the blanket.

"Yeah?" He replies as he puts his arm around me.

"How come you can't get a girl? You talk like a Nicholas Sparks novel."

"The ladies just don't appreciate my level of epic-ness." he says with a straight face.

"Yeah that's it. Not the Star Wars shirts, superhero themed Velcro wallet or the Monty Python ringtone." I tick each off on my fingers as I say them.

"Yeah, like I said epic-ness." He snorts on the last part and soon we're both laughing. Matt laughs so hard his tea comes out his nose and that starts us up again.

Friends, you can't live without them, but can you live with them? I know that I am going to have to make a huge decision, I just hope I make the right one.

"Ellie," Matt stifles another laugh. "I was just thinking, what did your mother say when you told her?"

Shit I forgot about my parents.