Seven

As the days pass, I soon become attuned to Robin's moods. The moment we see each other, I can generally tell what kind of day it is. Some days he doesn't say much, if anything at all, but on others, he'll practically talk my ear off. Today is one of those days where he's somewhere in between, neither quiet nor talkative.

"No, like this," Robin says, shaking his head.

He grabs my hand and carefully positions my fingers around the stone so that my index finger is wrapped around the front, and my thumb is resting on top. I pretend I don't enjoy the feeling of his skin on mine as much as I do.

"Now, flick it," he directs. "Hard."

I nod, flinging the rock toward to the lake, only for it to hit the water and proceed to sink.

"Fuck," I say.

Robin hands me one of the rocks he found for himself. He doesn't bother to let me correctly place my fingers, opting to take my hand and do it himself. If I blush, neither of us acknowledge it or it's hidden by my never ending summer sunburn (being a ginger sucks, sometimes; at least I can still ogle Robin's tan).

"Here, try again."

I go to throw the rock across the water, but Robin stops me.

"Snap your wrist," he suggests.

"Got it." I wink, causing Robin to laugh.

I do exactly as Robin said to do for at least the dozenth time since we've been walking around the edge of the lake. This time, something magical happens. The stone, which I had been expecting to sink like the previous ones had, ends up hitting the water and skipping forward once before stopping.

I cheer, grinning from ear to ear. I can't help but tug Robin into a hug so intense that I lift him up as much as my skinny arms are able. Robin's breath is hot on my neck as he laughs, hugging me back in turn. My breath hitches when his arms close tight around me. In the end, I'm glad the hug only lasts a few seconds because there was a real possibility of me passing out.

"Thank you," I sing-song.

"No problem," he answers easily.

Robin picks up a new stone, which he chucks across the water and makes it skip without any difficulty.

"It's no fair that you can do that," I say. "You have a rock skipping talent."

Robin laughs. "I've never met someone more impressed by my ability to skip rocks."

"It's cool!"

Robin hands me a rock he chose, saying, "Do it again."

I'm content with being able to do it once, but I'd do anything Robin tells me to, so I put my fingers into position and with intent to do better, toss the rock. Disappointed, I watch as it plops into the water.

"Aw, dang it."

Robin snickers. "You can try again."

"I need to redeem myself."

"I'll find you another rock," he says, patting me on the shoulder.

I wonder if he has any idea of how he makes me feel.

Robin bends down in front of me to search for another stone, and I decide that he doesn't have a clue.

Robin keeps good on his word.

On this particular day, I wait for him to show up. When he finally does climb up the hatch and take his spot next to me, I immediately know something is awry.