CHAPTER 2: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY NINE

_________________________________________________________
This is a work of Fiction. Names, characters, places and incidences are either products of the author's imagination or, if real, are used fictitiously.

Please refrain from reproduction, transmission, or storing in an information retrieval system in any form or by any means, graphic, electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying, taping, and recording, without prior written permission from the author. Thank you, and enjoy!!

_________________________________________________________

"Stop looking sad all the time. It makes you look like an old Chinese laundry woman."

"Wow. First of all, that is really racist. I mean, I don't even have that much Chinese blood anymore. Second, it's diluted enough that I could pass as a Filipina in one look (I said, battering my eyelashes). And third, the pure Chinese great great grand father is already dead and dust, my friend."

"May, you have pale skin and long, straight hair. You're fooling nobody little Miss."

"Weh? Those traits are common for Filipinas, are you stupid? Just look around. Don't get fooled by their blondes and curls though because you know all of those are just phenocopies."

"Stop convincing me because the moment you smile, your eyes turn into slits, you little piece of putoseko!" He said, while flicking my forehead, his large palms almost covering my whole face.

"How dare you compare me to a snack!? Besides, I can't do anything about that Will! Just- hurry up, I don't want to be late for Physics." I said, shoving my earbuds in my ear and hitting play. Flooding out the sound of muttering students with the soulful sounds of 'Bulong' (Whisper) by December Avenue. I ran the bit of distance between me and Will then walked briskly to keep up with his large strides. Will is a huge guy (??). I'm not even sure, but he sure knows more about boys than I do, and he screams a lot more often too.

We finally reach the Multipurpose hall for an hour of droning Physics. People get surprised when I tell them I'm currently taking physics as one of my last subjects, given that I'm an Agricultural Biotechnology student. 'Yes', I tell them, 'Scientists need Physics too. Now you know.'

The teacher made us move together with our groupmates for our daily group work. I popped one earphone into my left ear for some music while working but about ten seconds later, Will took it and started listening to it. He sighed and gave be back the earpiece.

"The reason why you're always sad must be because you keep listening to sad songs." Will said.

"What? What's he talking about May?" Charlene said, putting out her hand, silently asking for my phone. She scrolled through the songs and started pursing her lips. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Will is right."

"Haha, some of your songs come way back from 1994." said Mela, sitting beside Charlene, peering into my phone. On the other side of Charlene, Rome lifts his eyes from my phone and looks at me. "I saw one which dates back from the 80's." He said, biting back his laughter.

I look at all four of them defensively. "Hey, Nine Inch Nails, and The Clash are great bands, if you must know. If you have good tastes in music and recommend anything, list them then. I'll look into them to see if I'll like them."

Mela snapped her fingers and said, "Give her Kpop songs."

Charlene clapped silently and nodded her head in approval.

"I don't know much about Kpop, but I do know 2ne1." said Rome, shrugging his left shoulder.

"Okay then," said Will, taking out his phone, "I have lots of them, look at my songs," He showed us his phone. A long list of songs, written in a language and characters I don't understand emerges as he scrolls through them. "I can't even read them anymore. Haha! Open your ShareIt."

He sent me albums of Kpop songs he favored while we worked on our activity and returned my phone with a thumbsup.

*

"Listen to them okay?" Charlene said, waving me off as the jeepney started moving.

"I will, on my way home." I said and waved them goodbye.

I opened my phone's music player and went to the ShareIt audio folder. I gasped. One hundred eighty-nine songs. He sent me a hundred and eighty nine Kpop songs. I swiped left to see them grouped into Albums. EXID, G(I)-DLE, WJS-uh, how do you even read this? I sighed, wanting to listen to my usual playlist while the jeepney crawls along the evening traffic. I bit my lip, contemplating. After a few minutes in the traffic, hearing the buzz of the stagnant jeepney's engine, I went to my usual Playlist, hit play, the closed my eyes.