CHAPTER 5: SIMPLE

_________________________________________________________
This is a work of Fiction. Names, characters, places and incidences are either products of the author's imagination or, if real, are used fictitiously.

Please refrain from reproduction, transmission, or storing in an information retrieval system in any form or by any means, graphic, electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying, taping, and recording, without prior written permission from the author. Thank you, and enjoy!!

  _________________________________________________________ 

Last Friday, on the 24th, Will was so proud, telling Charlene and Mela how I got recruited into the Diamond life. His smile was so wide you can see his gums.

I can't believe the three of them are Carats, and that Charlene had been a Kpop fan for eight years and apparently, can already fully understand Hangeul, the Korean language and alphabet. What had I been missing all this time?

Charlene asked me who my bias was.

'Bias?' I thought, 'what is that?' the stupidity must have been written on my face because she answers my unspoken question with a you've-got-to-be-kidding-me expression.

"The member you currently like the most. I emphasize on CURRENTLY because believe me, you'll find it hard to stick to one later on." I smile. I was confident that I was enchanted by that guy who was center in Mansae's chorus and will stay loyal until I die.

"I'm always drawn to the guy with the brown hair. It almost feels like an eye magnet. I can recognize him in the Mansae dance practice video, the one who is center during the chorus parts."

"Ah, Boo Seungkwan! Nice. Mine is Hoshi." She said, beaming. I don't even know who Hoshi is, I just nodded. She played the Mansae dance practice video on Youtube from her phone and pausing on the chorus.

"That one?"

"Yes! What was his name again? Can you write it down for me?"

"Ah, of course." She gets a piece of paper and writes on it. "Boo. Seung.kwan. Here." She hands me the piece of paper. I read each syllable with interest, a stupid grin spreading across my face. "This is him" she said, then shoved her phone, facing downwards, in front of my face.

There he is. His picture is tucked inside her phone's clear jelly case. He looked...so...so....

"Can I have this?" I asked eagerly.

"What? No. This is expensive, sorry." She said, grabbing her phone protectively.

"But you just said, your bias is Howssshhhh...(??)"

"Hoshi."

"Right"

"But I also told you that you'll find it hard to stick to one bias later on. You'll see."

"Okay." I finally surrendered.

"Look," She said, showing me her phone's home screen, where the picture of a blond cute guy with narrow slits for eyes was in a circular frame beside a picture of her, with a number beneath it. "I monitor how many days Hoshi and I 'had been together'."

I smile and bit my lower lip in interest. People must have loved these boys for a reason. Enough to count the days of your 'relationship' even though, he might have no idea you exist, or can't even imagine how you look like, while you, on the other hand, knows a lot about him. I don't sympathize yet. It had only been less than 24 hours since I learned about this group, and a few minutes since I learned this new name, but I can already feel the attraction pulling on me like a thread. This boy, from South Korea, just an ocean and a stretch of land away, is pulling on me like gravity. I take out my phone, open Youtube and type in his name.

*

You would be amazed how amazing a nerd can manage time. Over the weekend, I have learned all of the Korean letters (because, let's face it, it is easy and ridiculously amazing!) and can write and slowly read. Given that, during the next Physics class, I can sing Woozi's Simple and understand it as well by printing out the hangeul, romanized and english lyrics. I kept singing it over and over during laundry day. I got so attracted by the meaning behind 'Simple' so I learned it, even the chords so I can accompany singing with my old guitar. I analyzed the English translation and learned some words which were recurring in the song. Hangeul feels new, smooth, and exciting in my mouth and it feels good to sing Woozi's song.

In the past four days, I've learned all thirteen member's names and faces through learning them by units (and watching a lot of videos of course). Last night, I've mastered their names in the fanchants; both the first name and full name versions using the Call Call Call and Oh My! Fanchant guide video Seventeen made. The comment sections were right, we can debut as rappers because of how fast we can chant their names.

I've loved all of their songs and can remember most of the English titled ones and some of the Hangeul ones. I use their upbeat songs when I warm up for my self-defense classes, and listen to their ballads when I lie at night for bed. In the last four days, I felt crowded with thirteen boys beside me. I just can't believe how amazing they are. Especially because they are self produced idols. I guess that is why their music, lyrics and choreography fits perfectly with one another.