CHAPTER 1: TWO IN ONE NIGHT

_________________________________________________________
This is a work of Fiction. Names, characters, places and incidences are either products of the author's imagination or, if real, are used fictitiously.

Please refrain from reproduction, transmission, or storing in an information retrieval system in any form or by any means, graphic, electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying, taping, and recording, without prior written permission from the author. Thank you, and enjoy!!

  ________________________________________________________

I don't really remember how I came across 'What is Love' by Twice, but here I am, watching a dance tutorial at one in the morning. I downloaded the dance tutorial in my Youtube app so that I could watch it offline. I've already memorized the first half of the dance and was watching the tutorial for the second verse. I stood up from my study table and went in front of the mirror and started executing the moves.

"It feels good to dance at dawn" I tell myself, but I bet it had nothing to do about the time, but more on the fact that nobody can see me, and I can therefore dance comfortably.

The last time I danced was a year ago, for a class project in my Physical Education subject. I took belly dancing lessons with the formulated excuse that "It was the only remaining PE subject that semester". Ha, that was a lie of course. I intentionally chose a dance subject because I really, really missed dancing. The last time I danced before that was four more years ago in high school. Doesn't seem like a dancer at all huh? But I always feel the urge to dance whenever I heard a good beat, but I never nurtured it so I won't call myself a dancer either.

I sing a lot. Like, a lot. In the bathroom, while doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, you name it! I am actually good, I guess, because people often praise my sweet and 'chilling' (I don't know if this is a compliment but I just think of it that way) voice. I won't be surprised though, since a lot of Filipinas can sing well because of the abundance of Karaoke machines... Not that I often use one, since my parents aren't exactly that supportive of talents.

I finished dancing with the walls as my silent audience. "I wanna know, know, know, know what is love~~". Ugh this beat is so engaging. Im not a die-hard K-pop fan by the way. I grew up hearing 2ne1, Wonder Girls and Super Junior from the local music channel but that's about it. I never looked deeper into them or even who the members were, cause, the names are all so alien to me. Im more of a Swiftie and All Time Low kind of gal.

Breathing heavily, I paused the video and adjusted the bucket which was catching rainwater from my leaking roof before walking back to my study desk. We need a new roof, or a new house for that matter. I stared at the formula I listed for tomorrow's exam. Experimental Statistics. I sigh then take a seat to continue studying. This is the last exam for my third year in college and the mortality rate (number of students who fail the subject) were, according to statistics, really frighteningly high. I haven't failed any of the exams yet though, but I have to do well so that I could maintain being a top student and maintain my scholarship. Being in the University of the Philippines, one of the most prestigious state universities in the country is no joke. Add that with a financially challenging life and a lot of expectations and you can get one giant hell of pressure on your small shoulders which, according to Pascal's Principle will hurt really badly. I usually watch 20-minute cartoons on my laptop whenever I review all night as a form of mental rest but tonight (I mean today... since it is morning already), I watch this dance tutorial, because the beat is just...wow. I reviewed and learned the dance until the sun rose. As my mother always says, 'Study while others sleep, succeed while others weep.'

I got second highest score for that exam and I learned the whole dance for 'What is Love', all in one night.