Chapter One

Violet

I was eight, I think, when Amelie handed me the silver box for the first time.

Apparently it was the only thing my parents left for me when they abandoned me at the Sunflower Orphanage in Melbourne, Florida. It laid in the bottom of my trunk ever since. Two years later the orphanage closed down and Amelie assigned me a room at the all-girl boarding school in Boston; and the silver box changed places, from an old raggy trunk to the back of my closet.

And it wasn't until Friday morning, that I paid much attention to it.

"Vi?" Amelie asked knocking on my door "What are you still doing in bed?"

Amelie Greer found me all alone on her doorsteps fifteen years ago. She took me as her own, and that sometimes made the other kids jealous. I never got what they were jealous about, they were getting adopted and I wasn't.

"Violet" she repeated pulling me out of my thoughts "Are you even listening?"

"Sorry Mom" I replied sitting up and fixing my skirt "I'll be on my way to class"

"You were supposed to be on your way ten minutes ago"

"I said I was sorry" I pouted and she rolled her eyes "love you" I kissed her cheek and started walking down the dorms hall heading to history class.

"Violet Rose Greer" a voice called for me and I internally cursed knowing I've been caught for being late, again "You're late Greer" I turned to face Principal Norrington who has manage to hate me ever since Amelie and I moved in.

"I know I'm late Silvia" I rolled my eyes "You've been telling me that for the past two weeks"

"Be careful Greer" she approached me until we were only centimeters away from each other "Your luck will be running sooner or later"

"I think I'll pick the latter" I smirked and waved her off as I returned my path to class.

***

It was late and classes had already finished. In every single class they had sang the birthday song and I even got presents. I still don't get why these people make such an effort, I don't like most of them and I'm not very discreet about it either.

They day went well, despite being my birthday day. At least it is according to Amelie.

I've never really enjoyed my birthday, just by the same reason I don't like receiving gifts. I just feel like I don't deserve them. The people that abandoned me as a baby didn't think I was worth it, so why receiving gifts?

It's not that I hold a grudge against my birth parents.... actually no, I do hold it against them. They left me all alone when I was barely a month old, so screw them.

"Knock Knock" Amelie said entering the room. I had changed into a pair of black leggings and a loose Jungle Book top she had got me from Urban Outfitter last Christmas. "I have one last thing for your birthday before you go to bed."

"What is it?" I asked with a big smile.

She took her hands from behind her back "(which by the way I hadn't noticed that before)" revealing an old yellowish envelope. Amelie handed it to me and I stared at it with confusion written all over my face.

"What is this Mom?"

"I found it inside your blanket the day I found you. That and the necklace of course." She hesitated, like if she said something wrong I would brake and go insane. "Why don't you open it honey and see what's inside"