Chapter Eight

Alex

Two days passed since Violet and I traveled back in time.

I was in my room looking at the ceiling. I haven't seen her ever since that night and for some odd reason, I can't stop thinking about her.

A knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts. My mother entered the room.

"Alexander" my mother said opening the curtains "Why aren't you up?"

"Because I didn't feel like it" I answered but stood up "What is it Anastasia?"

"The council wants to see you and Rosalie. They're in the library" she said before walking out of the room. "What is it with these people and libraries?" I thought but brushed it off.

The council being here is a big deal, so I pulled some decent clothes and walked to the library.

Everyone was dressed like I was, dress shirt, pants and leather belts. While the ladies wore pencil dresses that reached their knees. Everyone in the room was dressed for the occasion, everyone but Violet who was in an oversized hoodie and jeans.

"Now that we are all here" Duke Lancaster said "We can begin"

I sat on the only seat available, unfortunately was next to Greer who was to busy looking out the window.

The Count cleared his throat and she shifted her eyes towards him.

"Rosalie, why don't you tell us what happened" he said and she shifted uncomfortably in the couch. I knew she didn't like people calling her that.

"I already told you what happened" she said with a blank tone "We were arguing in the hall and then, boom, we traveled back in time"

I held back a laughter. She couldn't have the situation better.

"Just like that?" my mother asked in amusement.

"Yes mother" I said glaring at her "Just like that" I saw with the corner of my eye how Violet tried to hide a small smile.

"I don't think you two are taking the situation seriously" Dame Harrington said with her hands interlaced over her lap "You could have died" Violet snorted at her comment.

"We know that lady" she said rolling her eyes "Jumping off a balcony proved that"

"Why did you jump off that balcony?" Duke Gresham asked.

"Some dudes were chasing us" she replied "They kinda looked like nazis" her comment made everyone in the room start mumbling to each other.

"You two can leave" Count Crawford said "We'll fix these"

"Not until you tell us what's going on" I demanded and Violet nodded her head.

"Yesterday you two might have gotten marked" Duke Gresham said and his wife sent him a warning look "They need to know." he added and Duke Harrington nodded in agreement "Yesterday you were face to face with Marlowe's men, which means he knows about you two"

"What should we do?" I asked waiting for an answer. I couldn't stay here arms crossed while the other travelers chased the man who killed my father.

"You need to train her" Duke Lancaster said pointing at Violet "You two have been seen together, which makes you a team"

I nodded hiding my anger and we both left the room. I can't be partnered up with her, she's weak and skinny which will only slow me down on missions.

"I'll be upstairs" she said turning on her heels.

"What are you talking about? We need to start training"

"We will" she said not looking at me "Once you get your shit together."

I stormed into the training area and started beating a punching bag. "This should clear my head up a little" I thought and kept throwing fists until my hands couldn't take it anymore.

"I was an ass" I told myself "I shouldn't have treated her like that"

I stood up from the ground and headed to my room where I took a short shower. Once I was done, I changed into some comfortable clothes and walked to the room Violet was currently staying in.

I knocked softly on the door two times and heard "Come in" coming from inside. Violet was sitting on the bay window with a book on her lap.

"Are you feeling better?" she asked with a cute smile.

"I'm sorry for what happened earlier" I said completely ignoring her question.

"It's fine" she replied closing the book "I'm getting use to your constant changes of humor"

"You shouldn't be" I said with a shy smile. An idea popped in mind all of a sudden. "Come on, let's go somewhere"

"Should I dress up" she said with a wicked smile "If you are going to kill me and bury me in your backyard I need to look good"

"I'm not going to kill you Violet" I said completely forgetting about my self rules "Just trust me"

"You've said that before Alex" she said as we walked out of the house. It was odd hearing my nickname but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. "And I ended jumping off a glass balcony, remember?" she added.

"I do remember. I caught you" I said raising an eyebrow. We were walking through the house park until we reached the maze.

"You have a private maze?" she asked in awe. "I wish I was this loaded" a loud laugh came out of my throat. "Alex, can I asked you a question?" I nodded "Why do you want to be the best so badly?"

"I don't know" I answered honestly "I guess it's to feel like I made my father proud."

"I wouldn't know" she sighed "I never met mine. I mean, they're dead after all" I tried not to look at her. I knew the feeling, my father was dead and my mother wasn't really there. It was like living with a ghost, a very complaining and bossy ghost.

"Hey, don't sweat it" she said pushing my shoulder "I have Amelie"

"I wish I had some sort of Amelie in my life" I admitted. We reached the fountain, meaning we were in the center of the maze "I've been alone my whole life"

We sat on the edge of the abandoned fountain and stayed in silence, comfortable silence.

"Alex" she said and I turned to look at her "I think your dad would be really proud" I smiled at her.

"I have to admit, I missed judged you" I said rubbing the back of my head "I'm sorry for that"

"It's okay" she said with a shy smile "You don't have to apologize"

"I should" I felt the heat on my face out of embarrassment "I did said you were a few sandwiches out of picnic, which is basically me calling you dumb"

"Well, I did compare you to one of history's worst serial killers. So we're good" she giggled the last part, which I quickly joined.