➊ My Name is Ellie.

A sudden yet familiar clanging rung through my ears. Gobber was pounding on a red hot rod of iron downstairs, signalling my time to get out of bed. I slipped my feet into my shoes and hopped downstairs, instantly greeted by the warm air that surrounded the furnaces.

"Morneng, Elleh!" Gobber turned around and placed his hammer down.

"Morning, Gobber!" He was always really friendly and kind towards me, though he was never obliged to. I liked that, though. I don't really know anyone else on Berk who'd look at me that way. Gobber did always prompt me to socialise with the others but I had my reasons for keeping a distance. I knew some great people, and I knew I could count on them, but I also knew they might not see me the same way.

Gobber limped over, dragging his wooden leg along as if it were a hassle. He had always put up with that leg of his, even though he seemed to struggle. He reached under the table and pulled out a package. The wrapping was rather messy, Gobber wasn't much of an art and craft guy.

"W-What's this?"

"Did ya theenk I'd furget ya burthday?"

He was right, it was my birthday. The irony was that even I had forgotten all about it. It never really held much significance to me since my "birthday" was simply the day Gobber found me. That's right, I'm adopted. But it's a long story, really, and I'm pretty darn sure I'm not native to Berk. How sure? Well no one else on Berk is half Night Fury.

You heard me. Half Night Fury. I've got an ordinary human's body but the wings, horns and breath of a dragon. Gobber's been helping me keep it a secret my whole life, telling me that it's human nature for people to fear the unknown. I am the great unknown. Where I'm really from, who I really am, why I'm like this, who my parents really are... All total mysteries that I'd risk my life just finding the answers for. Gobber says when I was a kid, my wings were much easier to hide, but they grew bigger so I learnt how to sew my own clothes and made myself fur coats to hide my wings. I had two coats for everyday and formal events, and a hoodie for casual wear. My horns fit snugly under my hair but they have started to grow a bit. It's not noticeable yet but it can become a concern.

I pulled the brown paper off the present and beneath lay a brand new helmet. It was made of wood, painted an onyx black, rimmed with shiny metal and topped off with our signature viking horns. I flipped the helmet over to try it on and noticed something special on the inside.

"You drilled two holes into the helmet's horns...?"

"Yeh, should fit your horns nicely," Gobber beamed, "Nifty idea, eh?" I tried the helmet on and it sat in my head perfectly. I ran up to Gobber and hugged him real tight.

"I know I'm not like the people here, but thank you for helping me learn how to call Berk my home."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

|Author's Note|

Hey guys! So this is just another attempt at a HTTYD story. I hope it's not too bad and if you guys have any suggestions, I'd be hapoy to hear them. Also, feel free to let me know about any grammar mistakes because I take grammar pretty seriously.