Part 26

"Past the point of no return. No backward glances. Our games of make believe are at an end..."

Kai just watched.

That's all he did.

When he was with her

Her...

With the short amount of time he had spent with her, he could understand what his wife might possibly see in the young woman. Park Chaeyoung was elegant, charismatic and full of humility. He could see it.

Rosé changed over her brushes as she asked him to hand the big pallet near him. When he gave it to her, he saw that the tip of her fingers were splashed with shades of blue and white.

Seeing her hands brought back the memory of the teenager passionately kissing Jennie in this very room. He'd never paid attention to the art room before but when he came to fetch his wife her class was uncharacteristically locked.

He was in the process of calling her when he'd decided to walk back to the car. Phone against ear he strolled by the classes, when he'd suddenly seen the familiar jersey she'd warn that morning.

He stopped and stood still as the woman with red hair dived her fingers in to his wife's hair and brought their lips together. He was so stunned that he just walked back to Jennies class and waited.

It was only a few moments later when she rushed up to him and unlocked the door. A staff meeting, she explained. But all he could see were flashes of red hair and slim fingers. He drank a full bottle of gin that night. And then another the next evening.

He was a little drunk right now. He watched as she continued to paint. He hated this woman. She messed with the only thing that made sense in his life. Jennie was all he had right now.

"Can I take you out sometime?" he couldn't take it back. It was out in the air and he hoped she didn't misunderstand.

He wanted to confront her. The only reason he'd started this farce of a friendship was to make her see him as a friend. She would feel more guilty to when he told her to back the fuck off from his marriage. 

"Execuse me?" asked Rosé

Maybe he should ease her in, he thought.

"Can I take you out? With Jen and maybe a few other friends? I've already gushed so much about you to my bosses..." he trailed off.

The teenager's eyebrows scrunched and for the first time since he's met her, Kai saw how young she looked. Youthful really. But not her eyes. Those type of eyes spoke of a life lived. A long one.

"Like at your home?"

"It doesn't have to be," he could see she was uncomfortable. That was the last thing he wanted.

"We can go where you want to. You choose. Just as long as you're there," he smiled broadly.

She doesn't like being alone with him. He could  sense it every time he came by. He had concluded it was her guilt and his plan was clearly working. Maybe the alcohol is making him rush things. He needs to be patient. He could always get her alone, in a private space later on.

Jennie entered and hurriedly told him they could go home. He turned between his wife and...friend. Rosé was such a good listener. She spoke only when she needed to. But when it happened it just...

Fueled his loathing. She was the type of person who said one thing and did another. She was the pinnacle of a shit show his life had become. He had no brother and his father's property was no longer in his name. There was no chance he was willing to lose his wife. Especially to a child...

"Jen, wouldn't it be good to take Rosé out sometime," The brunette's eyes turned to that eternal back. Her eyes moved tiredly to her husband.

"Let's talk about it another time, it's been a long day," he gave her nod and gave Rosé a kiss goodbye. The young woman's eyes didn't drift towards the mirror as they left.