Chapter 10

Jinyoung stared at his reflection in the mirror. A man of twenty-five, with the gentle eyes under the dark eyebrows, was staring back at him. He fastened the last button of his white button-down shirt and tucked the shirt into his pants.

He felt a bit more energetic today and had even woke up earlier than the other days. He fixed his hair and after taking a final glance at himself in the mirror, he took his briefcase and left the room for the kitchen.

Mark was already there, seated and eating his rice and sausages for breakfast. He glanced at Jinyoung when the latter entered and smiled at him.

"Morning. Did you sleep well?"

"Very well. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic today." Jinyoung was going to explain why, when the doorbell interrupted him.

"I'll go see who it is," Jinyoung said and headed for the door. Mark's eyes followed Jinyoung; his mind was wary less it should be his friends again. The images of that day had not faded in his head yet.

Jinyoung disappeared into the living-room and Mark pricked up his ears.

It was a few minutes before he heard a 'Happy Birthday' from an unfamiliar voice.

"Thank you, Jackson." Jinyoung smiled warmly and took the bouquet Jackson handed to him. "It's so early in the morning. You could've given it to me when I arrived at work. You don't need to come all the way here."

"That would be too easy. Besides I want to be the very first person to say 'Happy Birthday' to you."

Jinyoung brushed his nose against the flowers; their scent was really refreshing.

"Come in. You'll have to wait for me if you intend to give me a ride to the company. I haven't had breakfast yet."

Jinyoung led Jackson to the sofa and motioned him to sit down.

"You can have it on the way. We can just stop by a restaurant to eat."

"No, save it for the evening. I'll treat you then. But now let me have my breakfast here."

"Alright. I'll be waiting here."

Jinyoung took the bouquet to his room and placed it on the bed-side table.

When he re-entered the kitchen, Mark had already finished his breakfast but was still sitting there. And to Jinyoung's surprise, a bowl of rice and sausages was there placed on the side of the table where Jinyoung usually seated.

"Do you like sausage? I made it for you," said Mark, matter-of-factly. And in the eyes he looked at Jinyoung, there was something deep, Jinyoung could feel it but couldn't name it.

"You shouldn't have bothered. Thank you, Mark. When did you make it?"

Jinyoung seated and started to dig into his breakfast. Mark watched him silently and a ghost of a smile passed over his lips. Then his eyes narrowed as he remembered someone was waiting for Jinyoung to take him away.

"Just when you were talking with him," Mark pursed, "Jinyoung, why didn't you tell me that today was your birthday? I thought we were in good terms."

His voice was laced with the hurt and Jinyoung noticed it right away.

"I'm sorry, Mark. I didn't mean to keep it from you. I was just going to tell you when Jackson arrived."

"Jackson? Your boss?"

Jinyoung nodded, "I'll introduce him to you. He's waiting for me in the living-room."