Chapter 7: Fade to Black

What was that?! Did that come from the gazebos –?!

BANG! BANG! B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BANG! B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BANG!

Oh, shit! What the fuck!

"Daryl, get down, get down! Down behind these boats!"

B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BANG! B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BANG!

"AAAAAHHHH!"

Oh, god, what is happening?! Are those gun fires?! I peak through the boats and see what's going on! Everyone I see at the gazebos are running and screaming in terror! Some I see collapse around the same time I hear that loud bang! They're all being shot at! Those I see got shot, their blood being exploded out of their bodies and collapsing hard to the ground! The gun fires are still not stopping! Those who managed to get away are scattered out of sight!

Just where are these gunshots coming from?!

There! Large numbers of people merging out from the trees and the bushes! Some are Caucasians, Hispanics, and blacks! Not one of them is Korean! Each one of them is all dressed in black shirts, pants, and boots! The guns they have are all different! Some have machine guns, handguns, shotguns – wait, are those m4's?! I know those guns! Those are military weapons! Just who in the hell are these people –?!

Oh, god! Lauren! I left her completely unprotected in the house! No, no, no, no, I have to go and get her! But – but those people and their guns! If I come out of hiding, they might see me and shoot me!

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Some of those people, they're – they're walking around shooting at those who are shot! They're just merely shooting at them like they mean nothing to them! Not even a sign of emotions on their faces!

And the rest of them, they're all spreading out, probably hunting down those who got away! Oh, god, then they might find us here!

"Daryl," So-Young grabs my arms to make me look at her. "Daryl, listen to me. When the coast is clear, I'm going to count to three, and we're going to run as fast as we can to the mansion. From there, we will make our way to the driveway."

"W-what about –" I stammer, "what about Lauren?!"

"We'll go and get her," she assures. "We'll get inside the mansion and get to the room," she looks out to see if the coast is clear. "Take my hand. Get ready to run."

Alright! Take deep breaths! Calm yourself!

"You're gonna be fine, Daryl," So-Young firmly says. "As long as you stay with me, you'll be fine," she resumes looking out.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

"AAAAAHHHH!"

How can she be so sure?! The shootings still haven't stopped, and I can again hear people, our family, screaming in pain and terror!

Every gunshot I hear means another member of my family is killed! Grandma, Aunts, Yoon-Chun, Su-Min, Janet, Diana!

BANG! BANG!

"AAAAAHHHH!"

I don't know if I'm up to this! But Lauren, I – I have to be there for her! If I'm not, she'll die as well!

"Ok, Daryl, are you ready? One...two...three!"

Go, go, go, go, go, go, go!

We're here! And no one saw us!