Chapter 1: I Promise

Korean word pronunciations and meanings: Appa (Ahp-pa) = Dad, Eomma (Ohm-ma) = Mom, Oppa (Ohp-pa) = Big Brother, Jun-Seok (June-Sohk) = Dad's name

RRIIIIING!

At long last! The clock has struck at exactly two forty-five, officially marking the start of two weeks away from this stupid school and all of the people in it!

All of these students here are so excited for this winter break, they're all running out of their classrooms, cheering, shouting, and jumping as they're all at their lockers, bundling up for this insane blizzard outside. Jeez, it's been like this since the end of our recess period.

I should hurry and get bundled up as well. I wouldn't want my sister Lauren to be all alone at the bus stop.

Born just four years after me, no higher than up to my chest with black, silky hair, long enough to reach down her shoulders, and a side-bang that covers the right side of her forehead. Just like my hair, but shorter. She also has a close-set of dark brown eyes with a narrow face and high cheekbones.

It's pretty funny because I have the same structure as she does. We may very well be twins at a different age.

All bundled up. Time to head out through the nearest door.

"Jesus christ," it's so windy! And you know what I should've done? Instead of just walking outside seconds ago, I probably should've taken the Kindergarten entrance instead. That way, I would've stayed indoors, and that the exit is right next to the bus stop. Since I'm already outside, just put the hood on and get to the bus stop.

And once I arrived, I forgot to realize that there's one thing I hate about getting to the bus stop, so many students bunch up together. Luckily enough, despite how crowded it is, Lauren always hangs around at the front of the crowd. And if I can't see her face, I could still recognize her wearing a white coat with fur around the mouth of the hood and a white Hello Kitty backpack.

And there she is. Right where I knew she would be.

"Lauren," I call out to her.

"Oppa!" she shouts happily, jumping on me and hugs me tightly.

I chuckle, "I missed you too. So, how was your class today?"

"It was okay," she says, letting me go from her hug.

"Yeah? Did anything happen?"

"No."

She sounds pretty sure. If everything is all good, then waiting for the bus to arrive is all we'll do.

When it comes to being surrounded by all these students, Lauren can't help but hug my arm tightly. She's never a fan of separating, especially if we're in large crowds like this.

After a few minutes of waiting, our bus is here.

As usual, we take the first seat. Lauren goes in first and takes the window side as I take the aisle side. Make herself feel safe away from anyone, especially from a bully.

Bullying is something that happens quite a lot in this school. For Lauren, she doesn't always get picked on by students at her grade level. Instead, she mostly gets picked on by bullies at my grade level. I did get into a lot of fights for that, and thanks to Dad's training, I always beat them up. Of course, I got detentions from some of these fights, but I didn't care. I only wanted to care about giving what these bullies deserve. But there's a much more significant consequence than just getting detentions. When the school notifies Mom and Dad, they are the ones who would teach me the real lesson. Because of them, I've been trying my best to not get into fights again.