Chapter 5

"Shit! That was not going to end well. And now gossip is going to go flying. Five days! Five bleeding days and it's already decided the whole world needs to know I'm more of a freak than before! Lovely!" She was freaking out. I understood, this was something we were hoping wouldn't happen.

"Rose. Look at me milaya." I gripped her left hand and pulled her to me with my left hand. "We'll get through it. I love you. You're strong. So, so strong." I leaned in and kissed her, then her fore head and cheeks before pulling away. "I love you. We need to get out of here before the bell goes."

"Yeah, we do" she sighed.

We got out without being spotted. "What was putting you on edge? Other than the rest of the class and her being your mother in general?"

"The way she was coming across. The Vision shows me she knows no better, but it just seemed like bragging. I was about to turn into a massive hypocrite if I didn't get out."

"The marks? Despite having one you were going to explode because her tone made it seem like bragging and the others reactions amplified it." I clicked.

"Exactly. It wasn't going to end well. That was for sure." She got that look again. "Shit! She's coming. She wants to know what's going." She snapped out of it milliseconds before Janine Hathaway rounded the corner. My hand went to Roses' shoulder and I squeezed it, reassuring and warning her.

"Guardian Hathaway." I greeted formally. My hand not moving off Rose. I could tell she was still on edge and my hand wasn't moving until Rose told me to or forcibly removed it.

"Mother." Uh oh! That tone was a bad sign.

"Guardian Belikov" the five foot nothing lethal Hathaway senior nodded out of respect. "Rosemarie" she turned on her daughter. Oh she did not just say Rosemarie twice in twenty minutes! She was in for it.

"It's Rose, Mother" she said all too calmly "and I know why you're here. Not just at the academy but why you're standing in front of me right now. You want to know what happened in class."

"Yes I do" Janine responded totally oblivious to the double meaning in 'know'. Careless for her, especially considering it was coming from her daughter.

Rose sighed. Trying to gain some semblance of control- successfully.

"You just avoided a massive bitch out and blow up. Don't push for details. Yet." Even I knew that her mother wouldn't stop there.

"Rose. What did you mean by 'not again' and 'Comrade. Get me out of here! Now!'?"

"Long story Mom. Complex and involved. I am not who or what you think. I am not the same person you handed over when I was four." She was skirting the edges and I knew it. Her mother did too and kept pushing "what.." She started and that did it. I pushed Rose behind me, shielding her from her own mothers interrogation.

"Guardian Hathaway, with all due respect, you don't want to finish that sentence. Rose requested you not to push for details, I'm telling you not to. She's been through a lot. A lot you have not been updated on for security reasons. If she wants to tell you she will, in her own time."

"Belikov. Why are you siding with her?!" It was accusatory, and unappreciated by both Rose and I. "Because I know more about what she's going through, what she's become."

"How is that possible? She can only become a guardian." Oh she didn't know how out of the loop she was. She was going to be onto Rose the moment Rose let out a 'Dimitri' instead of 'Guardian Belikov'.

"Dimitri?" She weaselled her way under my right arm stopping there. She looked at me, prophecy expression in place. She was choosing which outcome was the best. What I wanted and wanted to avoid, weighed against hers. She snapped back to me "tell her". She stepped back behind me. Damn! She'd put this all on me. Here goes nothing.

"Guardian Hathaway do you know what a vrăjitoare is? What they are capable of?"

"I've heard of them but no specifics."

"The have the gift of sight. Into the future is the normal case. Rose however, can see the past as well. She is also bound and shadow kissed. She is special." I stopped, letting it sink in. Refusing to admit to the personal relationship with Rose.

"Good boy." She stepped through my arm. She must have seen my decision.

"Rose? Is it true? Are you?"

"It's all true. I can also choose to see what outcomes will happen under certain decisions. I just did it. I've only had the Vision five days. Lissa's bond and being shadow kissed since the crash- I sorta died."

"I really don't know my daughter."

"Dimitri? Do you mind escorting me to my next class- I believe you're on duty there too." She turned to me.

"Rose! It's 'Guardian Belikov'!" Janine was pissed.

"Guardian Hathaway. I don't want her calling me 'Guardian Belikov'. 'Dimitri' is preferred. She may be my student but she is also my equal- she is one of the ranks after her first kill." I chose and said my words carefully. Janine was as volatile as Rose and didn't realise it.

"But..." She couldn't think of good argument before the bell went and Rose and I moved to her next class.