#5

I took my leave from the station at around 5 in the evening. I had to meet him, he told me he'd be waiting. I took the bus and got down in 10 minutes and walked to that park, the park where we'd always meet.

"Hey." I said.
"Kaitlyn. I've been waiting for a while now." He smiled. I hugged him and said, "Oh come on, you're the one who's usually late." We took our seats on the two swings and started talking. The weather was very cold, I felt like it was going to snow soon. Even my gloves weren't able to keep my hands warm.

"So, have you told her yet?" I asked.
"I cannot. My voice box pretty much stops functioning around her. I find no words each time I try."
I laughed and said, "And you're still not going to tell me who this mystery lady is?"
He shook his head, "Not before I tell her."

"Alright, let me guess! Caroline?" I asked.
"Joshua? Come on! I don't know why you call yourself my best friend. I've never liked that girl." He said, his tone all grumpy.
"Come on, Cole. She's a nice girl. She's got nice skin." I said, feeling a bit jealous myself. Caroline had perfect chocolate colored skin. I had pale skin with freckles on my cheeks and bruises on my legs. I could never compare to her.

"Skin? Yeah, maybe she does. I don't want her though, Kaitlyn. I have my eyes set on one girl." Cole said.
"Do you think I can ever be as pretty as Caroline, Cole?" I asked, ripping it off like a band aid.
"Sorry, what?" He said, surprised.
"You heard me."
"You're pretty, Katy. Caroline may have nice skin but you've got nice eyes. I like those green eyes of yours." He smiled.

"Green? I always thought they were hazel." I laughed.
"No. Green. See them closely the next time you look in the mirror." He said and continued, "I understand what it is like to feel like you're incomplete or not good enough. Not many people like me either, Katy. Yes, I'm not nice to criminals. Because it's not easy. Murderers can't be corrected with love. I've tried, but most of them need me to be strict or they never consider any other way except crime. But nobody thinks of that. I'm just Mr. Harsh now."

"Come on, I don't think that." I said and smiled.
"Yeah, and that's why you're my best friend. I hope she doesn't think that either." He sighed.
"She won't. You're the best guy I've come across." I smiled. There are quite a few insane guys who resort to crime, and these days, that's the most number of people. Cole had been having his shifts at the asylum since the last month, he was rarely needed at the police station.

I rarely saw him these days. I'd met Cole years ago when I'd caught my first criminal. He was just a thief and Cole was new too. And I saw him talk to the prisoner. He told him that there is other stuff he can do, that stealing won't make him much money. I loved the way he convinced people. It was late when he finished and he offered to drive me home. We kept meeting after that and became close friends, and I got to know Cole Briggs for much more than what the others knew.

I went home and took a shower. I did have green eyes, probably since forever. It's weird how I never noticed that and Cole did. And yes, my eyes are pretty, just like he said. I decided to go to sleep.

***

I walked to the station, it wasn't very far from where I lived. I looked kind of good in my police clothes. Marcus and Caroline had arrived before me for once.
"Hey. How come you came early?" I asked Caroline.
"Brian was surprisingly quiet last night. That is why. Listen, Kaitlyn, can I ask for a favor?" She replied.
"Oh, yes you can." I replied.

"Madison called me in the morning saying Brian has taken his medicines. She asked me to go down to the asylum for his daily counselling. In some hours he'll probably be asleep because of the pills. He has trouble sleeping at night. So they give him pills in the morning." She explained, none of which mentioned the 'favor'.

"Madison?" I asked instead. I didn't really want her to recall the favor, I was unsure of what it would be.
"Yes, she's his doctor. And about the favor. There's a major problem though." She said. No use, she did remember about the favor.
"Captain wanted someone to go and investigate Lee's house. He originally asked me, but can you do it for me please?"

"Yeah sure! I'll go with Hitesh." I said.
"You sure?" She asked.
"Yes, no problem. I'll handle it." I said. It was better than spending a boring day at the station. Caroline and Marcus left with her dog. I went to Hitesh and told him what we had to do.

Lee's address was a fifteen minute drive. Erica opened the door and showed us to Mikayla's room, which was neater and tidier than any I'd seen. Erica said she hadn't moved anything, I don't know if I trusted her. There was nothing we found. We were about to leave when Hitesh noticed something in the hall and whispered to me, "She was a writer. Yet we found no computer. Isn't that weird?"

I turned to Erica, "Is there any other place she used to go?" And I realized how stupid my question was. It was her house, she would have gone everywhere. Erica looked confused. She said, "Well... She used to sleep in her room and spend lots of time reading there, but of course she used the kitchen, the bathroom, watched TV in the hall, used the basement study..."

"A basement study?" I asked.
"Oh yes. She's got her computer and a mini library down there. Do I show you the way?"
"Please do." I said.