#21

"No, Caroline. Please, no." Mark pleaded.
"It's the only way, Mark."
"I'll not let you do this!" He screamed.
"I told you. Either be supportive or let me do this alone."
Mark broke down but nodded. We went back to the police station. We walked into Ivanowski's cabin and I showed him the text message from the private number. The number that our cyber team couldn't track. The message that I'd recieved hours ago.

'Tonight, at 10. Meet me at the river bank. If you don't come alone, or don't come at all, you'll never find out who I am. Now come on, Caroline, aren't you curious? And also, I'll not stop until I've killed each one of you. And come disarmed. I know that you're too good to not come. :)'

Captain stared at me. I said, "I need to go, Captain. That's the only way to stop this person. I can't let people get killed because of me."
"Kaitlyn is behind the bars, Miss Joshua."
"That's better. If nobody shows up, we'll just be sure that it's Kaitlyn."

10 PM

I can hear the waves crashing on the rocks. It's so peaceful. And maybe it's my last night here. Was it stupid of me to come alone? Will I be capable enough to catch the murderer alone? Or will I die? I finally hear footsteps. I turn around and see her and smile.

"I knew it was you. Such an innocent cover. And inside, you're a demon, aren't you?" I said. She laughed. Her shrill voice echoed in my ears. The voice I'd heard yet so many times.
"Oh, Caroline, you're too good to be true. You came alone to sacrifice yourself. Do you really believe I'll stop after I've killed you? Why are you girls so stupid? Mikayla believed she'd meet Brian that night. Erica believed she'd save Mikayla if she did whatever I asked her too. Liliana believed that I'd kill her son if she didn't give her life that night. Melissa believed that I was her good friend. And you, you believe I'll stop. So naive, that's the problem."

"Why Cole?" I asked.
"He knew too much. He kept blabbering about how much he loved me. That was a surprise. But well, I could use that against him. Love, such a funny thing. All of you will get killed because of love. My motive is love. When I killed Sienna all those years ago, I thought Brian would choose me. But no, he chose to go crazy! And trust me, I'd have let him recover. But I like him there, with me, locked up in his cell. I can do whatever I want to him, I tell him stories. I tell him about the murders I'm gonna commit. All night, I can talk to him. I can talk to the person I have loved forever."

"You're good at murder, I must admit. The signature, such a creepy touch. Everyone believed you so much. Believed your innocence. If Kaitlyn didn't and Cole didn't delete the CCTV footage, there's only one person who could, isn't there? And you're one of the best psychiatrists out there, yet so many years and Brian hasn't been better. Funny, isn't it? Brian surprisingly has a key to his cell. How can he, if you didn't put it in? Kaitlyn did overhear a conversation. But it wasn't Cole's and Brian's. It was Cole's and yours."
"Smart, aren't you, miss Joshua?"
"Smarter than you think. Do you really think I'd come alone to die, Madison?" I said. She realised what I was pointing at. Captain, Mark and the rest of the team came out from hiding.

"Freeze, Madison. Drop your weapons." Ivanowski said, pointing a gun at her. The whole team pointed guns at her. She freaked out, it was unexpected. She expected me to be too good. She pulled out her gun and screamed, "If I'm going down, atleast you'll die!" And before we had time to react, she fired. And within seconds, he fell to the ground with a scream. Mark had jumped in between me and Madison, the bullet had got him. "Mark!" I screamed and rushed to him. Madison attempted to run but the team cornered her and snatched her weapon. Everything went by in a blur after that. We rushed Mark to the hospital, he'd lost lots of blood, his condition was critical.

He held my hand and said, "I love you, Caroline. I'm sorry that I'm leaving you."
"No, Mark, no. Please. I can't lose the person I love again." I cried. He smiled at me and asked, "You do?"
"No, I just look for random men's socks when I'm running late for the police station. Seriously, Mark, get organized." I laughed between tears.
"I love you, Carly." He smiled.
"Then don't leave me." I said as they took him into the O.T.

Kaitlyn

It was around 11PM. I didn't expect to be freed from lock up by Ivanowski himself.
"I'm so sorry, Kaitlyn. I shouldn't have doubted your integrity." He apologized.
"It's alright, sir. How's Caroline?" I asked.

"She's fine. She made herself the bait to catch the killer. We followed her to the river bank."
"She's crazy! She could've been hurt. Who's the killer?"
"Madison. Caroline almost did get hurt. Marcus saved her. He's heavily wounded."
"Madison? Oh god..." I said.
"Kaitlyn, I need you to get it out of Madison. Everything. Now."
"Yes, sir." I saluted him and walked behind him to one of the lock ups.

I saw Madison there, no regret on her face.
"Why, Madison?"
"I love Brian. And he chose Sienna." She said and I sighed.
"Tell me everything from the start."

Flashback-1- Brian's vacation

"Brian was engaged to Sienna. They were happy. And that was killing me. All those years, he didn't notice me. Even when I worked right under him. After some time, jealousy took me over. I asked Sienna to meet up. I went to her place and killed her. She fought back with all her strength, such a pity that she wasn't strong enough. Leaving the knife stabbed in her body, I cleaned my fingerprints and left. I believed that after the trauma was gone, after the mourning was done, Brian would finally notice me.

But the next morning, I got a call. Brian had lost sanity seeing Sienna's body. It turns out that he did love her a lot. Seeing Brian in that condition wasn't easy at first. Then I realised the plus points. He'd stay with me, in the asylum. I could have him captured, I could have him all to myself." Madison grinned.

"That's pathetic, Madison." I said.
"I didn't want him to get better. There was a chance that he'd choose someone else. Again. I drugged him with medicines that made sure to keep him in an insane state. Things were going great till she came along. Caroline, to counsel him. And I lost it to jealousy again."